Tour Duration: 02 Days, 03 Nights
Tour Attractions: Canal Cruise, Floating Markets, Bazaars, Village Life
Best time to go: July – September
Tour Available: Round the year
Next Scheduled Tour: 10-13 Jun, 22-25 Jul, 26-29 Aug, 2017
Barisal, the southern division of Bangladesh, is awash with rivers and canals which is part of the Ganges Delta. Hundreds of them flow through this region and the result is a deliciously lush landscape with more shades of green than you ever imagined. Traveling by boat is the way of life here. In Barisal Backwater Tour we take you to explore the rivers and canals of Barisal by country boats where you can experience and photograph life in Ganges Delta which will be an unique experience.
You’ll take an overnight ferry to Barisal and explore it’s canals and rivers next 02 days on small country boats. Here you’ll photograph endless guava gardens and floating guava markets on it’s full ripen season, floating markets of rice, vegetables, and fruits, traditional life on the sides of the rivers and canals, bazaars, schools, and many more interesting things full of activities. You’ll discover rural Bangladesh on this tour to Barisal which is the way of life of about 80% people in this country. A highly photogenic tour.
Highlights of Barisal Backwater Tour
- Overnight journey on paddle wheel steamer (Rocket).
- Exploring rivers and narrow canals on country boat and experience life on both side.
- Visit endless floating markets of different type.
- Walk on the villages, meet locals, see natural life in Bangladesh.
- Go overland and visit different bazaars, brick factories, schools.
Itinerary of Barisal Backwater Tour
- A guide of us will meet you in the evening at your hotel in Dhaka, pick you up, transfer to Sadarghat river station in Old Dhaka, and embark the passenger ferry with you for an overnight journey to Barisal.
- Overnight on passenger ferry to Barisal (Sleeping cabin)
- Disembark at Barisal in the early morning around 5.30 am, and transfer to your hotel.
- After check-in, and freshen up, drive to a remote place in Barisal on a Tuk-Tuk (01 hour). Upon arrival you’ll embark at our waiting motorized country boat, and start cruising immediately toward a floating market or other interesting place depending on the day of the week. These floating markets starts around 7.00 am and finish within 8.30 am. That is the reason for us to start the days early in this tour.
- Breakfast will be served on the boat bought from a local market. Being a very remote place where no descent restaurant is available, this will mainly be bread and some fruits.
- You’ll cruise whole day in the rivers and small canals in Barisal and visit a floating market where they bring everything to sell by boat which is full of activities and perfect for photography. Goods on these markets are mainly sold on wholesale from farmers to vendors.
- We’ll buy some seasonal local fruits from a local market for lunch e.g. jack-fruit, watermelon, lichee, mango, coconut, and continue cruising.
- You’ll also visit bazaar on land, stop on a village and have tea while meeting it’s people and exchange culture with them, and visit a factory yard where they make fiber from coconut which is used as a raw material to make carpet and rope.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by tuk-tuk, and retire for the day. In the evening, we’ll take you to a descent restaurant at Barisal for dinner.
- Overnight at Barisal.
- Breakfast on a restaurant at Barisal at 7.00 am, and transfer to a remote place in Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (01 hour). Embark our waiting boat upon arrival, and start cruising immediately.
- Today we’ll take you some other places to visit through the narrow canals and rivers. You’ll float through the backyards of people’s house and see their lifestyle while they welcome you and greet you from the land, visit numerous guava gardens where 80% of Bangladesh’s guavas are grown, see a floating guava market, visit kids and teachers on a school where you can talk with them and exchange culture.
- Locally bought fruits will be served for lunch on boat as yesterday.
- Continue cruising through the narrow canals and rivers. Next attraction for today will be visiting a timber market which is the largest market of this type in the southern part of the country. You’ll see logs dumped beside the river spread in miles long places, carried away on the river very slowly with the help of a boat, loading and unloading them manually with the help of tide. Also we’ll take you ashore to visit numerous saw mills where they saw the logs according to the needs of the customers without taking the least safety measure.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (01 hour).
- You’ll return to hotel in the afternoon and late check-out. After freshen up, transfer to Barisal river station depending on your departure time on a passenger ferry to Dhaka (between 6.30 – 8.30 pm).
- Embark the passenger ferry in the evening. Dinner on the restaurant at the ferry, and an overnight journey to Dhaka.
- Overnight at ferry (Sleeping Cabin)
- Arrive Dhaka early morning around 5.30 am, transfer to your hotel, and say good bye.
- End of the tour.
Price of Barisal Backwater Tour
|Group Size||Classic Package ||Comfort Package||Luxury Package|
|Facilities||Classic Package||Comfort Package|
|Dhaka - Barisal Transfer||1st Class cabin on Rocket||Same as Classic package|
|Accommodation at Barisal||Hotel Arena (Moderate hotel, air-conditioned room, western style toilet, hot water, wi-fi on lobby, No complementary breakfast)||Grand Park Hotel (Upmarket hotel currently on promotion, air-conditioned room, western style toilet, hot water, wi-fi on room, complementary breakfast)|
Watch this video of the floating timber market at Barisal on this tour
Inclusions and exclusions
- Tour includes:
- 02 Nights accommodation on passenger ferry in a sleeping cabin on twin sharing basis. 1.5 Night accommodation in a hotel at Barisal.
- 02 Breakfast, 02 lunch with locally purchased fruits, drinking water, tea while on country boat at Barisal.
- Tuk-Tuk and Rickshaw as transport in Barisal.
- All boat rides mentioned in the itinerary.
- English speaking guide.
- All tips other than our guide and boat driver.
- Does not include any food/drinks other than mentioned above, or any personal item.
Notes on Barisal Backwater Tour
- Itinerary of this tour is fully flexible and not fixed. It will be changed depending on the day of the week, as different markets and bazaars sets on different days of the week.
- Days on this tour will start very early in the morning. So you need to go to bed early and have a good sleep to enjoy the days.
- There will be no descent restaurant available while on cruising at the backwaters. These are very remote places. You’ll find a decent restaurant only in Barisal city.
- This tour is for people who love to see different people and culture. There is no sight-seeing attractions on this tour.
- Rocket will be available only on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. A traditional ferry will be on service rest of the days.
- Nijhoom Tours will not be responsible for any schedule change of Rocket.
- Best time to travel:
- June – September: Rivers and canals will be full of water, and everything is green in it’s fullest. Also the ripen season of guava when you can see the floating guava market. Best time of the year to travel.
- November – March: Weather is cool and comfortable, and less humid.
Also available on
Barisal Backwater Tour is included in the following packages. You can book one of these packages too to enjoy this tour:
Reports from Western travelers after their recent visit to Bangladesh, about the security situation in Bangladesh after the restaurant attack in July, 2016.