Tour Duration: Full Day Tour
Location: New and Old Dhaka
Tour Attractions: Sights, People, and Culture of mega city Dhaka
Best time to go: Round the year
Tour Available: Round the year
Next Scheduled Tour: N/A
Explore life and sites of chaotic Old Dhaka. Visit the key attractions like Lalbagh Fort, Ahsan Manzil, Star Mosque, and Armenian Church; ride local boat at river Buriganga and explore the busy activities on both side of the river; enjoy rickshaw ride in the chaotic and narrow streets of Old Dhaka for a new experience. Know the people and history of the city in this Old Dhaka tour.
In this Dhaka Tour, we show you most of the tourist attractions in New and Old Dhaka, as suggested in Bradt and LonelyPlanet travel guide. If you are visiting Bangladesh for the first time, Old Dhaka Tour is the must tour to take for knowing the heritage, culture, and life of Dhaka city. This is our most popular day tour covering largest number of sites compared to any other Dhaka tour offered by similar companies in Bangladesh.
- Visit the key tourist attractions of New and Old Dhaka.
- Explore backstreets of Old Dhaka for an authentic experience.
- Rickshaw ride on the narrow streets of old Dhaka.
- Boat ride on Dhaka’s live and vibrant Buriganga river.
- Taste authentic local food on a local restaurant.
Itinerary of Old Dhaka Tour
- 08.00 – 08.00 AM: A guide and driver of us will meet you at your hotel/residence to pick you up, and start driving for Old Dhaka immediately.
- 08.30 – 08.45 AM: Visit outside of National Assembly Building (Parliament Building) on the way, which is one of the largest legislative building in the world, designed by the famous US architect Louis Kahn.
- 09.15 – 09.30 AM: Visit Dhakeswari Temple – a state owned Hindu temple which is the religious center of the Hindu community in Dhaka. This is also the national Hindu temple in Bangladesh.
- 09.40 – 09.55 AM: Continue driving and visit Khan Mohammed Mridha Mosque – a beautiful mosque from the Mughal period built on a raised platform.
- 10.00 – 10.45 AM: Walk to (05 minutes) and visit Lalbagh Fort – a beautiful fort from the Mughal period, a key tourist attraction in Dhaka city.
- 10.45 – 12.15 PM: Take a rickshaw and visit Star Mosque – a beautiful mosque fully decorated with stars, and Armenian Church – an orthodox church built by Armenians in Dhaka. Drop at a restaurant in Sadarghat.
- 12.15 – 01.00 PM: Lunch on a local restaurant (authentic local food), and take a 05 minutes walk to Ahsan Manzil.
- 01.00 – 01.45 PM: Visit Ahsan Manzil (Pink Palace) – a beautiful and well-maintained palace from the colonial period which was home of the most influential family in Dhaka. This is another most popular tourist spot in Old Dhaka.
- 02.00 – 02.15 PM: Walk to (05 minutes) and visit Sadarghat River Station. This is the main river port in Dhaka and one of the largest river station in South Asia. Passenger ferries leave for southern part of Bangladesh from here to all over Barisal division.
- 02.30 – 03.30 PM: Walk to the boat station (10 minutes) and ride a country boat at river Buriganga. This river is a live and vibrant place full of activities. You’ll see hundreds of country boats crossing people in two side of the river, small vendors selling goods on their boats, passenger and cargo ferries passing by.
- 03.45 – 04.00 PM: Take a short rickshaw ride, and walk in the Hindu Street (Shankharia Bazar). This is a unique place – the center of Hindu culture and community in Old Dhaka – old buildings raised in both side of the street, which is full of jewellery shops, rickshaws, and people.
- 04.00 – 04.00 PM: Get into our waiting car at the end of Hindu Street, and start driving toward your hotel/residence.
- 06.00 – 06.00 PM: Drop at the hotel/residence, say good bye. End of the Old Dhaka Tour.
Price of Old Dhaka Tour
- 1 Pax Tour: 8,000 BDT / $104 USD
- 2 Pax Group: 5,000 BDT / $65 USD Per Person
- 3 Pax Group: 4,500 BDT / $58 USD Per Person
- 4 Pax Group: 4,000 BDT / $52 USD Per Person
Watch video of Dhaka’s live and vibrant Buriganga river in Old Dhaka Tour
Inclusions & exclusions
- Tour includes:
- Air-conditioned car, and driver.
- English speaking guide.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Lunch on a local restaurant (authentic local food).
- All rickshaw and boat rides.
- All tips except our guide and driver.
- Does not include any drink, beverage, or any personal item.
- You need to wear modest cloths to enter the mosques included on the tour. It is not possible to visit the mosques wearing shorts. Ladies need to cover hair and arms. Also need to leave your shoes outside while visiting a mosque or temple.
- Rickshaw ride will not be possible for a group of 05 person or more. We’ll take visiting the sights by car in case or 05 person or more group size.
- Specialty of Bengali food is they are spicy, which is the main difference with Indian food. Khichuri (made of rice, lentil, and meat) and Biriani (rice and meat cooked specially with added spice) are two of the most famous foods of Old Dhaka – specially Biriani.
- We can take you to a western restaurant if you wish (only on a private tour) on your own expenses.
- Only on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays all of the sites will be open. Ahsan Manzil will be closed at Thursdays and opens after 03.00 pm in Fridays. Lalbagh Fort will be closed at Sundays, and opens after 02.00 pm at Mondays. Rest of the sites are open 07 days a week.
- Ahsan Manzil and Lalbagh Fort will be closed on any government holidays. You can visit them from outside though during these days.
- There could be incredible traffic in Dhaka some time when everything stops in every intersection. You could be stopped on the same place for a long time without even moving. Be prepared to walk a lot, and wear shoes accordingly. Traffic is little bit lighter on Fridays and Saturdays, being week-ends.
- Pick-up time will be 9.00 am during Fridays, Saturdays, and other govt. holidays, as there would be less traffic on the streets during these days. For hotels located in the southern part of Dhaka city, pickup time will be at 9.00 am (changable upon request) for this Dhaka Tour.
- We’ll require the full payment in advance by credit card to book this tour. Details of our online payment system could be found here: Online payment FAQs.
Remarks on Old Dhaka Tour
Reports from Western travelers after their recent visit to Bangladesh, about the security situation in Bangladesh after the restaurant attack in July, 2016.