Tour Duration: 4-Day, 3-Night
Location: Dhaka, Barisal, and Bagerhat
Tour Attractions: Floating Markets, Bazaars, Villages, Mosques, Temple
Best time to go: July – March
Tour Available: Round the year
Next Scheduled Tour: 7-10 Jul, 4-7 Aug, 1-4 Sep, 2019 | 5-8 Apr, 17-20 May, 7-10 Jun, 2020
Experience the life and culture on the backwaters of Barisal, the southern division of Bangladesh which is awash with rivers and canals and is the heart of Ganges Delta, the largest delta in the world, where traveling by boat is the way of life. Also, visit the UNESCO World Heritage City in Bagerhat, and spend a day exploring the life and sights on mega city Dhaka, one of the most densely populated cities in the world.
On Backwater and Bagerhat tour, you’ll start with exploring the life and sights of Dhaka City for a whole day and board a traditional ferry in the evening. The next day, explore the rivers, canals, floating markets, bazaars, and villages in Barisal to experience the unique lifestyle in Ganges Delta. Explore the historical mosques and a beautiful temple in Bagerhat next day, and return to Dhaka on train or flight afterward. This tour is all about experiencing the traditional lifestyle in Bangladesh.
You can easily combine this tour with visiting India. Instead of returning to Dhaka we can transfer you to Benapole/Petrapole border to cross over to Kolkata which is very close from Khulna.
Highlights of Backwater & Bagerhat Tour
- Explore new and Old Dhaka the whole day.
- Rickshaw ride on narrow streets of Dhaka.
- Boat ride on live and vibrant river Buriganga.
- Explore rivers and narrow canals and experience life on Ganges Delta in Barisal.
- Visit endless floating markets of different types in Barisal.
- Walk on the villages, meet locals, see natural life in Barisal.
- Go overland and visit different bazaars, brick factories, schools in Barisal.
- Explore UNESCO world heritage city Bagerhat for whole day.
- Ride a Bangladeshi train – a unique experience.
Itinerary of Backwater & Bagerhat Tour
- A guide of us will meet you at your hotel lobby at 08.00 H to pick you up, and will head toward Old Dhaka. You’ll visit key tourist attractions in New and Old Dhaka the whole day, including Dhakeshwari Temple, Lalbagh Fort, Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, Armenian Church, Star Mosque, Ahsan Manzil, and Sadarghat River Station.
- Enjoy a short boat ride at river Buriganga in the evening on a wooden boat to feel the rithom of the live and vibrant river and enjoy sunset.
- Embark a traditional ferry in Sadarghat River Station at 18.00 H.
- Overnight on passenger ferry to Barisal (Sleeping cabin)
- Disembark at Barisal in the early morning around 5.30 am, and transfer to your hotel.
- After check-in, and freshen up, drive to a remote place in Barisal on a Tuk-Tuk (1 hour). Upon arrival, you’ll embark at our waiting motorized country boat, and start cruising immediately toward a floating market or other interesting place depending on the day of the week. These floating markets start around 7.00 am and finish within 8.30 am. That is the reason for us to start the days early in this tour.
- Breakfast will be served on the boat bought from a local market. Being a very remote place where no decent restaurant is available, this will mainly be bread and some fruits.
- You’ll cruise the whole day in the rivers and small canals in Barisal and visit a floating market where they bring everything to sell by boat which is full of activities and perfect for photography. Goods on these markets are mainly sold on wholesale from farmers to vendors.
- We’ll buy some seasonal local fruits from a local market for lunch e.g. jack-fruit, watermelon, lichee, mango, coconut, and continue cruising.
- You’ll also visit bazaar on land, stop on a village and have tea while meeting its people and exchange culture with them, and visit a factory yard where they make fiber from coconut which is used as a raw material to make carpet and rope.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by tuk-tuk, and retire for the day.
- Overnight at Barisal (Hotel Arena).
- After breakfast, drive towards Bagerhat (03 hr) in an air-conditioned car and visit the Mosque City of Bagerhat, a 15th century Muslim city once called Khalifatabad, which is the present day Bagerhat and is a UNESCO protected world heritage site.
- You’ll visit most of the remaining mosques from the 15th-century city Khalifabad the whole day, including the 60 Dome Mosque, 09 Dome Mosque, Rono Bijoypur Mosque, and Singair Mosque. Also, we’ll take you to visit the shrine of Khan Jahan Ali, the saint general from Turkey who came to spread Islam in this country and founded this great city, and Kodla Moth – a very beautiful Hindu temple from the 17th century. Drive toward Khulna (01 hr).
- Overnight at Khulna (City Inn Hotel).
- Classic Package:
After breakfast, transfer to Khulna Railway Station. Depart for Dhaka on 08.40 H Chitra Express. Arrive Dhaka around 18.00 H.
Drive toward Jessore at 09.00 H (2 hrs). Fly to Dhaka on 12.05 H flight (01 hr).
- Transfer to hotel from train station / airport at Dhaka.
- End of the tour.
Price of Backwater & Bagerhat Tour
|Group Size||Classic Package||Comfort Package|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- 3 Night accommodation on hotels and boat cabin as mentioned in the itinerary.
- All breakfasts.
- 2 lunch with locally purchased fruits, drinking water, tea/coffee while on country boat at Barisal.
- Air-Conditioned car for visiting Dhaka and Bagerhat.
- Tuk-Tuk and Rickshaw as transport in Barisal.
- All boat rides mentioned in the itinerary.
- English speaking guide.
- All tips other than our guide, driver, and boat man.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from outside the North Dhaka area as mentioned bellow.
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Watch video of brick factories in Barisal which you’ll visit on this tour
Notes on Backwater & Bagerhat Tour
- Pick-up and drop-off for this tour will be available from North Dhaka area only (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area).
- Itinerary of the Barisal part of the tour is fully flexible and not fixed. It will be changed depending on the day of the week, as different markets and bazaars sets on different days of the week.
- Days at Barisal will start very early in the morning. So you need to go to bed early and have a good sleep to enjoy the days.
- There will be no decent restaurant available while exploring the backwaters. These are very remote places. You’ll find decent restaurants only in Barisal city upon returning in the evening.
- Best time to travel:
- July – September: Rivers and canals will be full of water, and everything is green in it’s fullest. Also the ripen season of guava when you can see the floating guava markets. Best time of the year to travel.
- October – March: Weather is cool and comfortable, and less humid.
- Sunday & Thursday will be the best day to start this tour, based on the floating market days in Barisal.