Tour Duration: 06 Days, 05 Nights
Location: Old Dhaka, Bagerhat, Mongla, and Khulna
Tour Attractions: Old Dhaka, Rocket, 60 Dome Mosque, Sundarbans
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Round the year starting with Sat, Sun, and Tue
Next Scheduled Tour: 25-30 March, 2017
Overnight journey from Dhaka to Hularhat on a first-class cabin of century old Rocket Steamer, including full-day sight seeing at Old Dhaka and Bagerhat to visit Lalbagh Fort, Ahsan Manzil, 60 Dome Mosque, and Kodla Moth. Three days excursion on a small group to Sundarbans, the largest mangrove swamp on earth. You can visit 02 UNESCO world heritage site in this tour.
On this tour, you’ll visit Old Dhaka the whole day, and embark paddle steamer called Rocket in the evening. After a relaxing overnight journey, visit 15th century Muslim city Bagerhat the next day, which is a UNESCO world heritage site, and head toward Mongla. After that take a full 03 days excursion to Sundarbans which is another UNESCO world heritage site, and home of Royal Bengal Tigers, monkeys, salt water crocodiles, sweet water dolphins, and many species of birds. Best Sundarbans experience you can have in your life.
- Explore the largest mangrove forest on earth – Sundarbans, for full 03 days.
- Overnight journey on a century old paddle wheel steamer called Rocket.
- Visit historical sites at Bagerhat, a UNESCO world heritage city from 15th century, including 60 Dome Mosque.
- Full day tour at Old Dhaka including rickshaw ride on narrow streets and boat ride on Dhaka’s busy Buriganga river.
- Ride a Bangladeshi train – a unique experience.
Itinerary of Rocket & Sundarbans Tour
- A guide of us will meet you at your hotel lobby at 09.00 H to pick you up, and will head toward Old Dhaka. You’ll visit key tourist attractions in Old Dhaka the whole day, including Dhakeshwari Temple, Lalbagh Fort, Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, Armenian Church, Star Mosque, Ahsan Manjil, and Sadarghat River Station.
- Stop for lunch at a descent local restaurant in Old Dhaka, and continue site-seeing.
- Enjoy a short boat ride at river Buriganga in the evening on a wooden boat to feel the rithom of the live and vibrant river and enjoy sunset.
- Embark Rocket Steamer at Sadarghat River Station at 18.00 H. A memorable overnight journey in Rocket Steamer to Hularhat.
- Overnight at Rocket (1st class sleeping cabin)
- Enjoy the riverine beauty of Bangladesh from Rocket Steamer in the morning. Disembark from Rocket at Hularhat around 09.00 H.
- Drive toward Bagerhat (01 hr) in an air-conditioned car, and visit the 15th century Muslim city once called Khalifabad, which is the present day Bagerhat, and is an UNESCO protected world heritage site.
- You’ll visit most of the remaining mosques from the 15th century city Khalifabad the whole day, including the 60 Dome Mosque, 09 Domed Mosque, Rono Bijoypur Mosque, Chunakhola Mosque, Bigi Beguni Mosque, and Singair Mosque. Also we’ll take you to visit the shrine of Khan Jahan Ali, the saint general from Turkey who came to spread Islam in this country and founded this great city, and Kodla Moth – a very beautiful Hindu temple from 17th century. Drive toward Mongla (01 hr).
- Overnight at Mongla.
- Transfer to our waiting boat in the jetty at 06.00 H, and head immediately toward Sundarbans. Stop on a forest station on the way to complete formalities, and continue toward Kochikhali Wildlife Sanctuary.
- We’ll go through many small canals and rivers with our small boat where big boats can not go because of their size and the cannals being shallow. Taking you through these rewarding narrow canals is the main point of this private tour on a small boat, where is your best chance to spot a tiger and many wildlife. We’ve spotted a tiger on such a canal on 26th September, 2014, which was crossing the river just 200 miters ahead of us in broad day light. We were the only lucky tour operator to spot an wild Bengal tiger in last few years on a tour in Sundarbans.
- We’ll reach Kochikhali in the evening, and explore a small canal on a small row boat in search of wild-life. They come to drink water in the evening and morning on the creeks and canals. You’ll seat on the boat quietly and float by on a breath-taking environment listening to many birds singing, and the calls of many animals.
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of Kochikhali forest station.
- Have breakfast at 07.00 H, and start hiking on the forest from Kochikhali forest station toward the Jamtola Beach (00 km, 00 hrs). Spend an hour on the beach (oo km walk) which is the quietest, nicest, and cleanest beach in Bangladesh, and hike toward Kotka forest station through the forest (00 km, 00 hrs). The total hiking will be about 00 hours. Reach Kotka station and transfer to our waiting boat which already arrived here from Kochikhali through an inside canal.
- Lunch on the boat and have couple of hours rest.
- Go to the watch tower at Kotka and seat there rest of the evening. This is a feeding ground of animals. Lots of deers and other wild animals come here in the evening to eat grass and drink water. You never know what surprises can be waiting for you here!
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of Kotka forest station.
- Go for a boat ride on the small row boat at 06.00 H and explore a canal near Kotka Wildlife Sanctuary. Return to the main boat at 07.30 and have breakfast. We’ll start our return journey toward Mongla from here through other small rivers and canals.
- Reach Mongla in the afternoon, and drive to Khulna (1.5 hrs)
- Overnight at Khulna.
- Classic Package:
After breakfast, transfer to Khulna Railway Station. Depart for Dhaka on 08.30 H Chitra Express. Arrive Dhaka around 18.00 H.
Drive toward Jessore at 07.30 H (2 hrs). Fly to Dhaka on 10.55 H flight (01 hr).
- Transfer to hotel from train station / airport at Dhaka.
- End of the tour.
Price of Rocket & Sundarbans Tour
|Group Size||Classic Package ||Comfort Package|
|Facilities||Classic Package||Comfort Package|
|Dhaka - Hularhat Transfer||1st Class cabin on Rocket.||Same as Classic Package|
|Hotel at Mongla||Parjatan Hotel Posur||Same as Classic Package|
|Hotel at Khulna||City Inn Hotel||Same as Classic Package|
|Khulna - Dhaka Transfer||1st Class Chair on Train (Air-Conditioned, 10 hrs)||Khulna - Jessore by air-conditioned car (02 hrs), 10.55 H Flight from Jessore (01 hr)|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Tour includes:
- 05 Nights accommodation in hotels and boat cabins as mentioned in the itinerary, with complementary breakfast.
- Lunch on Day-01 on a decent local restaurant (authentic local food).
- All meals, drinking water, tea, and coffee while on the boat at Sundarbans for three days on Day-03, 04, and 05.
- 1st class cabin on Rocket Paddle Steamer to Hularhat on twin sharing basis.
- All train and boat rides.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Air-conditioned car, driver, and English speaking guide.
- 5,500 BDT per person forest permission fee for Sundarbans.
- All tips except our guide, driver, and boat crew.
- Does not includes:
- Any food, drinks, or beverage other than mentioned above.
- 1,200 BDT Fee for video camera (if any).
- Any personal item.
- Minimum 02 person is required to book this tour outside the scheduled tours. Solo travelers can only join the scheduled tours.
- This tour is available to start on any Saturday, Sunday, or Tuesday – round the year.
- 1st class tickets of Rocket and train depends on availability. You might have to travel on the 2nd class if 1st class is not available. Only difference on 1st and 2nd class on the Rocket is, 2nd class is located in the back side, and have no air-conditioning. Other facilities are same. Passengers of 2nd class can use all the facilities of 1st class, e.g. dining area, sitting area on the front side.
- On Monday and Thursday, a traditional ferry comes in service instead of the paddle steam boats. If you book for these days, you have to travel on the traditional ferry instead of a paddle wheel steamer.
- If for some unexpected reason Rocket ticket is not available at all, we’ll take you up to Barisal by a traditional ferry (overnight part), and from Barisal to Hularhat on the Rocket (daytime journey part).
- In case of traveling on the 2nd class of train, you’ll have a reserved seat.
- Itinerary of Sundarbans Tour is just a general outline, and not fixed. It could be changed depending on the season, moon phase, tide, day light hours, and fog. But we’ll try to include all the places and activities mentioned in the itinerary as much as possible.
- The boat for Sundarbans is a very basic boat without air-conditioning, electricity, and running hot water (we will supply them on bucket). It has accommodation facilities for 08 person in max, and one western style toilet. But we have a larger boat too to arrange tour for bigger groups.
- The cabins in the boat at Sundarbans are lit by small lights running on battery. We’ll run the generator in the evening for couple of hours everyday to charge your devices.
- You’ll get mobile phone signal of GrameenPhone on the first half of day-04. In Kotka, a new mobile phone tower of Teletalk opened recently, so you’ll get full network coverage of only Teletalk in Kotka with 2G internet facilities which is very slow. No other SIM card will work inside other parts of the forest.
- For trekking in the forest on day-05, the land is flat and we will not go through very dense forest, so it will be easy for most of the people, as long as you can walk about 10 km. The trail is dry, not muddy. Bring covered shoes which is suitable for trekking and can protect you from small grass and trees with spikes.
- If you do not want to walk, you can remain on the boat which will be still enjoyable, as it will go from Kochikhali to Kotka through small canals, which will be a ride of about 03 hours.
Citizens of EU, USA, Australia, Canada, Russia, and some Asian countries can get Visa on Arrival in Bangladesh, which is a pretty straight-forward process. Although there is a rule to take visa beforehand if you have a Bangladesh mission on the country where you are coming from, this rule is completely overlooked. They never check where you are coming from. They only check if you are a national of a country which are eligible for VOA, and directly issue the visa.
Unless there is a long Que for VOA, it will take just 10 minutes of your time to get VOA. Fee for most of the country is $51 USD. You’ll not require any previous application or anything else to get the visa. However, they will ask you for your hotel reservation and a phone no of the hotel. Simply show our details itinerary which we will send you once you confirm your booking, where all the hotel information will be written. They will be happy enough to give you a VOA of maximum 30 days.
Check here for more information on visa on arrival for Bangladesh.
- ATM Availability: Although Bangladesh has many ATMs, some of these do not accept foreign cards – your guide can give advice on which ATM’s to use but we do not advise relying on ATM’s alone for money.
- Credit and Debit Card Acceptance: Cards are generally only accepted in the more expensive shops and restaurants.
- Local Currency: Taka.
- Recommended Currency for Exchange: US Dollar.
- Where to Exchange: There are a number of exchange houses in larger towns and cities.
- All the breakfasts from Day-02, 03 lunches, and 02 dinners are included on the trip. You need to pay for rest of the lunches and dinners during your trip. A meal on a decent local restaurant will cost about $2-$7 USD.
- Tea and soft drinks are very cheap. Mineral water is widely available.
- Bangladesh is a secular Muslim country, and whilst the people are very liberal and friendly, alcohol is not widely available. There are only a couple of hotels on the trip which have a bar, and even at these establishments you cannot usually drink in the restaurant. Local beer, when available, costs approx. $3 USD for a 300ml can, and a measure of spirits is similarly priced. Wine is not available. It may sometimes be possible to purchase alcohol outside the hotels, but it is prohibited to consume in public places. There is a duty free on arrival in Dhaka airport (before immigration) and you are permitted two bottles of spirits per person.
- In Dhaka, there are some wire houses from where you can buy alcohol showing your foreign passport. But they only sell whole cartons of usually 24 bottles/cans.
- Tipping is common practice in Asia. In Bangladesh, most workers will expect a small tip, anything from 50 Taka upwards depending on the service provided. At the end of the tour, if your principle guide, together with the driver and the boat crews have been helpful then you could think about tipping them. The amount can obviously be left to you.
- Booking this tour at least 03 weeks in advance is advised.
- Sundarbans Excursion with Rocket
- World Heritage Tour (10 Days)
- Highlights of Bangladesh (11 Days)
- Glory of Bangladesh (14 Days)
- Best of Bangladesh (18 Days)
- Exploring Bangladesh (23 Days)
- Discover Bangladesh (27 Days)
Important Notes on Rocket & Sundarbans Tour
Reports from Western travelers who have taken the 06 days Rocket & Sundarbans Tour in Bangladesh with Nijhoom Tours. Read and be surprised!
Experience of Jackie and Mike Hulton from Surrey, England, of traveling Bangladesh for 3 weeks in November, 2016, including Chittagong Hill-Tracts area.
Also included on
Rocket & Sundarbans Tour is included on most of our holiday packages. You can book one of these packages too to enjoy this tour:
Reports from Western travelers after their recent visit to Bangladesh, about the security situation in Bangladesh after the restaurant attack in July, 2016.
08 DAYS $760 USD*
24-31 Mar, 21-28 Apr, 2017
22-29 Sep, 03-10 Nov 2017
01-08 Dec, 2017
19-26 Jan, 19-26 Feb, 2018
11 DAYS $1,025 USD*
07-17 Apr, 08-18 Sep, 2017
01-11 Jan, 02-12 Apr, 2018
05-15 Oct, 2018
14 DAYS $1,420 USD*
10-23 Mar, 06-19 Oct, 2017
15-28 Dec, 2017
05-18 Mar, 01-14 Sep, 2018
18 DAYS $1,970 USD*
10-27 Nov, 2017
02-19 Feb, 02-19 Nov, 2018
23 DAYS $2,500 USD*
03-25 Mar, 08-30 Dec, 2017
02-24 Mar, 03-25 Dec, 2018
27 DAYS $2,985 USD*
01-27 Oct, 2017
03-29 Jan, 03-29 Oct, 2018