Location: Sonargaon, The Old Capital of Bengal
Tour Attractions: Abandoned City Panam Nagar, Folk-Arts Museum, Sandbank Island
Best Time To Go: October-March
Tour Available: Year Round Except Sunday
Next Scheduled Tour: Please Check Bellow
Experience the captivating Sonargaon and Panam City Tour, a day trip from Dhaka that showcases the highlights of Bengal’s old capital during the medieval era. Discover the abandoned city of Panam Nagar, a 19th-century trading center for Hindu cotton merchants. Explore the Sonargaon Folk Arts and Crafts Museum, Boro Sardar Bari, the pre-Mughal architecture Goaldi Mosque, and the tomb of an independent ruler of Sonargaon. Take a scenic boat ride on the Meghna River and experience the village life on a sandbank island. This tour is a must-do for anyone visiting Bangladesh, offering an immersive experience that reveals the country’s rich cultural heritage.
On Sonargaon & Panam City Tour, starting with visiting the pre-Mughal period Goaldi Mosque, you’ll see the Folk-Arts and Crafts Museum, which showcases the region’s rich textile heritage, and the newly renovated Baro Sardar Bari, a massive mansion from the British colonial period. Next, you’ll visit Panam Nagar, an entirely abandoned city of wealthy Hindu cotton merchants from the early 19th century, which is a highlight of the tour.
After lunch, have a pleasant boat ride on River Meghna with proper safety and experience village life on a sandbank island, which is different from the city life not far from there. You’ll conclude the tour by paying a visit to the tomb of a ruler from the 15th century, whose capital was Sonargaon, before returning to Dhaka. The Sonargaon & Panam City Tour is the second tour you should book if you visit Bangladesh after the Dhaka City Tour.
Highlights of Sonargaon & Panam City Tour
- Visit an entirely abandoned city of the Hindu cotton merchants from the early 19th century.
- Visit the tomb of an independent Sultan of Bengal in the 15th century, whose capital was Sonargaon.
- Visit a pre-Mughal mosque from the 16th century.
- Visit the newly renovated Boro Sardar Bari, a massive mansion from the same Panam Nagar period.
- Visit the Folk-arts and Crafts Museum and know the country’s rich textile heritage.
- Ride a boat on the mighty river Meghna.
- Experience village life on a sandbank island of river Meghna.
A map of the full-day Sonargaon & Panam City Tour to Bangladesh’s Old Capital with Nijhoom Tours.
Itinerary of Sonargaon & Panam City Tour
Price of Sonargaon & Panam City Tour
- 1 Person Gruop: $130 US Per Person
- 2 People Group: $95 US Per Person
- 3 People Group: $85 US Per Person
- 4 People Group: $70 US Per Person
- Private Tour: Please contact us for the price
Inclusions and Exclusions
- An air-conditioned car and driver.
- An English-speaking guide.
- All entrance tickets.
- Lunch at a local restaurant with authentic Bangladeshi food.
- Drinking water.
- All boat rides.
- All tips except our guide and driver.
Does not include:
- Any food or drinks other than those mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Departures and Availability
|Departure Dates||Total Places||Available Places||Booking Status|
|Fri, Mar 22, 2024||6||3+||Available|
Crossing River Meghna with proper safety on a Sonargaon & Panam City Tour with Nijhoom Tours.
FAQs on Sonargaon & Panam City Tour
How is your Sonargaon & Panam City Tour different than the others?
★ Safety: Customer safety is the priority of our tours. We'll use life jackets during boat rides for the safety of our customers. We'll never overload the boat on the river to save a few bucks. We'll provide a safe driver who will drive you safely in a country where everyone drives like crazy. Our cars will have seatbelts, which almost no one uses in Bangladesh.
★ Comfortable Car: We'll provide a comfortable, decent, clean car with air-conditioning to navigate the hectic Dhaka traffic for long hours. We'll not squeeze you into the middle seats of the car to save money. Everyone will get a comfortable window seat.
★ Food Hygiene: We'll be cautious about food safety on the tour so that you don't become sick from food poisoning, which is common in Bangladesh. We'll take you to restaurants that maintain good hygiene.
★ Numerous Positive Reviews: We have numerous positive reviews of our Sonargaon & Panam City Tour on TripAdvisor from our past clients who've had a pleasant and memorable experience with us. You'll have a great experience on our tour too!
★ Knowledgeable Guide: We'll provide a knowledgeable guide on our Sonargaon & Panam City Tour, who will be able to provide you with the history and other interesting information about the sites on the tour.
★ On-Time Pick-up: We'll not be late to pick you up and give excuses for traffic.
★ No Nuicense: We will not annoy you by taking a few dozen selfies with you on the tour and posting them directly on social media.
Why book Sonargaon & Panam City Tour with Nijhoom Tours?
★ Great Experience: You’ll have a great experience on our Sonargaon & Panam City Tour, as we are a multi-award-winning local tour operator in Bangladesh with vast local knowledge and the highest quality. We have the highest number of reviews in Bangladesh on TripAdvisor (375+ reviews) from our clients with an average rating of 5 on 5. We’ve been featured in the International Travel News Magazine multiple times, published in California, USA.
★ Support a Local Business: By directly booking with us instead of the giant foreign online platforms like Viator, ToursByLocals, GetYourGuide, TourRadar, Expedia, Kayak, or many others like them dominating the industry with huge marketing budgets, that only sell other local companies' tours and charge them a hefty commission, you are also supporting a local small business instead of a big foreign corporation.
★ Scheduled Tours: We have scheduled tours year-round. You can join any of them and reduce your cost.
★ Fast Communication: We reply fast. Communication with us will be a breeze.
★ Smooth Payment: Making payments with us will be swift for our Sonargaon & Panam City Tour. We offer multiple payment options with credit cards and bank transfers. You can pay us in major local currencies online and avoid paying any charges for making cross-border payments for our tours.
Interior of an abandoned house in Panam City. © Photo Credit: Tina Manley.
- Sonargaon & Panam City Tour is available to book any day of the week except Sunday, year-round.
- Panam Nagar will be closed on Sunday and will open after 02.00 pm on Monday. That is why we do not offer this tour on Sunday, as Panan Nagar is one of Sonargaon & Panam City Tour’s highlights.
- Sonargaon Folk-arts and Crafts Foundation, which contains the Boro Sardar Bari and the Folk-arts and Crafts Museum, will be closed on Thursday. You can see the beautiful mansion from outside if you book this tour on this day.
- There will be a heavy rush of local tourists at Panam Nagar and Sonargaon Folk-arts and Crafts Foundation on Friday, being the weekend.
- Panam Nagar will remain closed on any public holiday.
- Villagers on the river island we’ll be visiting are conservative. You should dress modestly on this tour. Wearing short pants/skirts, and sleeveless t-shirts/blouses will not be appropriate for the ladies. Bare shoulders and midriffs should be covered with shawls. Wearing short pants for men will not be a problem.