Tour Duration: Full Day Tour
Location: Dhaka & Narayanganj
Tour Attractions: Traditional art of weaving Jamdani
Best Time to Go: October-March
Tour Available: Year Round Except Fridays
Next Scheduled Tour: Not Available To Book
Jamdani is a time-consuming and labor-intensive form of hand-loom weaving traditionally practiced by craftspeople around Dhaka. The sheer cotton textiles are renowned for the richness of their motifs, which are woven directly on the loom. It is one of the varieties of the finest Bengal muslin. The traditional art of weaving Jamdani has been declared by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
In the Jamdani Weaving Tour, we’ll give you an overview of the whole Jamdani industry of Dhaka. We’ll take you to experience the process of making Jamdani, and visit an original village where the ancestors of the master weavers come from to experience their traditional lifestyle. Also, you’ll get the opportunity to buy Jamdani directly from the weavers, and visit some renowned outlet where the finest quality of Jamdani and other handicrafts are sold. It will be a great experience for learning a great Bangladeshi tradition and buying souvenirs for friends and family back home.
- Learn the traditions and process of making Jamdani.
- Visit an original Jamdani village to know the lifestyle of the weavers.
- Buy Jamdani directly from the weavers in cheap.
- Visit some top outlets selling finest quality Jamdani and other handicrafts.
Itinerary of Jamdani Weaving Tour
- 08.00 – 08.00 AM: Pick-up from hotel and drive to the Jamdani production area in the outskirt of Dhaka city.
- 09.30 – 11.15 AM: Visit a Jamdani cottage and experience the Jamdani hand-weaving process. Interact with the master weavers and learn about the process of making Jamdani. Visit different shops selling the threads for making Jamdani. Also experience the process of dying the threads if available on the day.
- 11.45 – 12.45 PM: Visit an original Jamdani village where the ancestors of these master weavers come from and experience their life-style. New generations of the weavers are leaving their trade since they can not earn enough from this trade any more.
- 01.45 – 02.30 PM: Drive back to Dhaka and have lunch on a local restaurant with authentic local food.
- 02.45 – 03.45 PM: Visit Aarong flagship store where you can buy finest quality of Dhakai Jamdani. This is also a great place to buy any kind of souvenirs.
- 04.30 – 05.15 PM: Visit Jatra Store which is another great place to buy Jamdani and other handicraft items.
- 06.00 – 06.00 PM: Drop at the hotel. End of Jamdani Weaving Tour.
Price of Jamdani Weaving Tour
|Group Size||Tour Price|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Air-conditioned car and driver.
- English speaking guide.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Lunch on a local restaurant with authentic local food.
- One bottle of drinking water.
- All tips except our guide and driver.
Does not include:
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Learn about the Jamdani craft in these videos
- Jamdani weavers are very low paid. We highly encourage everyone on the tour to bring some dry food for the weavers in the first factory we visit. Our guide will help you to buy some biscuits from a local bakery on the way. There will be about 50 weavers there.
- Jamdani is a dying trade. We highly encourage everyone on the tour to buy some Jamdani products directly from the weavers to support the industry. You can buy beautiful Sari and dress for women, and Panjabi (a traditional dress) for men from the weavers at a much cheaper price than the stores. These products will be a great gift for friends and family back home. Please note that we do not get any commission from any of the weavers or stores on the tour (not much tourism here yet!).
- Lunch will be late as mentioned on the itinerary. Bring some snacks with you for mid-morning.
- Tour is not available on Fridays as Friday is day-off for the weavers.
- Specialty of Bengali food is they are spicy, which is the main difference with Indian food. Khichuri (made of rice, lentil, and meat) and Biriani (rice and meat cooked specially with added spice) are two of the most famous foods of Dhaka – especially Biryani.
- Pick-up for this tour will not be available from South Dhaka area (Hotel 71, Hotel FARS, Asia Hotel & Resorts, and nearby area).
- Booking of any of our day tours is possible maximum one week in advance.
- We’ll require the full payment in advance online to book this tour. Details of our online payment system could be found here: How to pay us.