Tour Duration: 6-Day, 5-Night
Location: Rajshahi, Kusumba, Paharpur, Bogra, Dinajpur, Rangpur
Tour Attractions: Archaeology of North-Bengal
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Round the year except Saturday
Next Scheduled Tour: 11-16 Mar, 14-19 Apr, 12-17 May, 16-21 Jun, 14-19 Jul, 11-16 Aug, 1-6 Sep, 2019 | 12-17 Apr, 10-15 May, 14-19 Jun, 2020
Rajshahi division holds a treasure trove archaeological wealth. This corner of Bangladesh used to comprise the heart of Bengal, and once held court for powerful Buddhist kingdoms and neutered Hindu empires before falling easily to the embrace of Islam. Rajshahi and Rangpur contain some of Bangladesh’s finest rajbaris (palaces), its most exquisitely decorated temples and it’s largest and most impressive Buddhist ruins.
In Discover Rajshahi Tour, we will take you to explore the most impressive archaeological sites of the whole Rajshahi and Rangpur division. You’ll visit an world heritage site, gorgeous mosques from medieval period, and it’s finest temples and palaces from the more modern colonial period. If you love archaeology, this is the tour for you to explore the best archaeological sites in Bangladesh.
Itinerary of Discover Rajshahi
- Pick up from hotel at 06.00 H, transfer to Airport Railway Station, and take 769 Dhumketue Express at 06.30 H to Rajshahi. Arrive Rajshahi around 11.50 H, transfer to hotel.
- After check-in, freshen up, and lunch, visit Varendra Research Museum, which is the oldest museum in the country rich in it’s collection of archaeological artifacts.
- Boat ride at river Padma in the evening if time permits.
- Overnight at Rajshahi (Hotel Nice).
- Drive to Sona Masjid (90 km, 03 hrs) and visit some of the remaining archaeological sights of Gauda, which was the ancient capital of greater Bengal in the medieval period with a rich history. This once rich city is located in Bangladesh-India border and split between two countries. You will visit it’s beautiful mosques, palace, and shrine the whole day. Return to Rajshahi in the evening.
- Overnight at Rajshahi (Hotel Nice)
- After breakfast, drive to Bagha (42 km, 1.5 hrs) and visit Bagha Mosque. This magnificent mosque was built in 1523 A.D. by the Sultan of Bengal Nasiruddin Nasrat Shah. Ornamented with beautiful terracotta, Bagha Mosque is one of the most beautiful mosques in current day’s Bangladesh.
- Drive to Puthia (21 km, 45 mins) and visit its beautiful temples and palaces. Largest number of historical temples of Bangladesh are located in Puthia most of which were built in the 19th century.
- Drive to Natore (20 km,30 mins) and visit the palace of Rani Bhabani which was built in the colonial period. The whole Rajshahi division and part of current day West Bengal was once ruled from here, and the queen was called ‘the lady of half of the whole greater Bengal’.
- Drive back to Rajshahi (43 km, 01 hr) in the evening.
- Overnight at Rajshahi (Hotel Nice).
- After breakfast, drive to Kusumba (50 km, 1.5 hrs). Visit Kusumba Mosque, a beautiful stone-built mosque from medieval period. This is one of the six remaining stone-built mosques from the Sultanate period in Bengal, which is very well preserved.
- Drive to Paharpur (60 km, 1.5 hrs) and visit Somapura Mahavihara, a Buddhist monastery from 8th century and a UNESCO world heritage site. This is the most impressive archaeological site in Bangladesh.
- Drive to Bogra (70 km, 02 hrs). Visit a Santal tribal village en route to experience their lifestyle; also visit a local bazaar.
- Overnight at Bogra (Hotel Naz Garden)
- After breakfast, drive to Sariakandi (42 km, 01 hr). Visit some chars (river islands) of river Jamuna and see how people live on those small islands struggling with the natural disasters.
- Drive to Rangpur (124 km, 4 hrs) and Visit Tajhat Palace, the most beautiful palace in Northern part of Bangladesh built in the colonial period. Also visit a nearby Kali temple.
- Overnight at Rangpur (Hotel North View / RDRS Guest House / Parjatan Hotel).
- Start late at 10.00 am, drive to Dinajpur (72 km, 02 hrs) and visit Kantajew Temple, which is the most beautiful Hindu temple in Bangladesh. Every inches of the temple is decorated with beautiful terracotta plaques describing epic Hindu stories.
- Also visit Nayabad Mosque built by the Muslim workers who came to build the temple.
- Drive to Saidpur Airport (32 km, 01 hr), and fly to Dhaka at 17.10 H flight. Arrive Dhaka around 18.10 H, and transfer to hotel.
- End of the tour.
Price of Discover Rajshahi
|Group Size||Classic Package|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- 5 Night accommodation at Rajshahi, Bogra, and Rangpur as described in the itinerary on twin sharing basis, with complementary breakfast.
- Dhaka – Rajshahi 1st class train ticket.
- Saidpur – Dhaka flight ticket.
- Air-conditioned car, driver, English speaking guide.
- All site entrance tickets.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from outside the North Dhaka area as mentioned bellow.
- Any food, drinks, or any personal item.
- Pick-up and drop-off for this tour will be available from North Dhaka area only (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area).
- Tour is not available to start on Saturday, as Saturday is the off day for 769 Dhumketue Express.
- 1st class train tickets depend on availability. We’ll try our best to get first class tickets for you. But if that is not possible, you’ll have a reserved seat on 2nd class.
- It is common for the trains in Bangladesh to be 1-2 hrs late.
- Wearing shorts will not be allowed to enter the mosques of Gaur and Kusumba. Women need to wear long sleeves while visiting the mosques. In other places, wearing shorts will not be any problem.
- Best time to travel:
- Jun – August: Full mango season. You can taste delicious Bangladeshi mango in Gaur, which is the mango capital of Bangladesh.
- October – March: Weather is cool and less humid.
- We’ll require the full payment in advance to book this tour. Details of our online payment system could be found here: Online payment FAQs.