Tour Duration: 6-Day, 5-Night
Location: Rajshahi, Kusumba, Paharpur, Bogra, Dinajpur, Rangpur
Tour Attractions: Archaeology of North-Bengal
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Year round except Saturday
Next Scheduled Tour: 11-16 Feb 2020 (Guaranteed – 3 Seats Available)
Rajshahi division holds a treasure trove archaeological wealth. This corner of Bangladesh used to comprise the heart of Bengal, and once held court for powerful Buddhist kingdoms and neutered Hindu empires before falling easily to the embrace of Islam. Rajshahi and Rangpur contain some of Bangladesh’s finest rajbaris (palaces), its most exquisitely decorated temples and it’s largest and most impressive Buddhist ruins.
In Discover Rajshahi Tour, we will take you to explore the most impressive archaeological sites of the whole Rajshahi and Rangpur division. You’ll visit a world heritage site, gorgeous mosques from the medieval period, and it’s finest temples and palaces from the more modern colonial period. If you love archaeology, this is the tour for you to explore the best archaeological sites in Bangladesh.
- Visit country’s oldest museum full of archaeological artifacts.
- Learn the process of making the famous Rajshahi silk.
- Get opportunity to buy the finest quality silk products perfect for souvenirs.
- Visit the most beautiful terracotta mosque in Bangladesh.
- Visit the bewitching historical temples and the palaces of Puthia.
- Visit the beautiful mosques of the ancient Bengal capital Gauda located in the India and Bangladesh border.
- Visit the largest mango market of the country if on season.
- Visit a beautiful stone-built mosque from the 16th century.
- Visit an 8th century Buddhist monastery, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Experience the lifestyle of the Santhal tribe by visiting their villages.
- Visit the largest bazaar of north-western Bangladesh full of activities.
- Visit a Char (sandbank island) of river Brahmaputra to experience how people live there struggling with natural disasters.
- Visit Kantaji Temple, the most beautiful terracotta temple in Bangladesh.
- Visit the most beautiful palace of northern Bangladesh.
- Visit an architectural award winning school fully made of clay.
Itinerary of Discover Rajshahi
- Pick up from hotel at 06.00 H, transfer to Airport Railway Station, and take 769 Dhumketue Express at 06.30 H to Rajshahi. Arrive Rajshahi around 11.50 H, transfer to hotel.
- After check-in, freshen up, and lunch, visit Varendra Research Museum, which is the oldest museum in the country rich in it’s collection of archaeological artifacts.
- Boat ride at river Padma in the evening if time permits.
- Overnight at Rajshahi Hotel Chez Razzak).
- Drive to Sona Masjid (90 km, 03 hrs) and visit some of the remaining archaeological sights of Gauda, which was the ancient capital of greater Bengal in the medieval period with a rich history. This once rich city is located in Bangladesh-India border and split between two countries. You will visit it’s beautiful mosques, palace, and shrine the whole day. Return to Rajshahi in the evening.
- Overnight at Rajshahi (Hotel Chez Razzak)
- After breakfast, drive to Bagha (42 km, 1.5 hrs) and visit Bagha Mosque. This magnificent mosque was built in 1523 A.D. by the Sultan of Bengal Nasiruddin Nasrat Shah. Ornamented with beautiful terracotta, Bagha Mosque is one of the most beautiful mosques in current day’s Bangladesh.
- Drive to Puthia (21 km, 45 mins) and visit its beautiful temples and palaces. The largest number of historical temples of Bangladesh is located in Puthia most of which were built in the 19th century.
- Drive to Natore (20 km,30 mins) and visit the palace of Rani Bhabani which was built in the colonial period. The whole Rajshahi division and part of the current day West Bengal was once ruled from here, and the queen was called ‘the lady of half of the whole greater Bengal’.
- Drive back to Rajshahi (43 km, 01 hr) in the evening.
- Overnight at Rajshahi (Hotel Chez Razzak).
- After breakfast, drive to Kusumba (50 km, 1.5 hrs). Visit Kusumba Mosque, a beautiful stone-built mosque from the medieval period. This is one of the six remaining stone-built mosques from the Sultanate period in Bengal, which is very well preserved.
- Drive to Paharpur (60 km, 1.5 hrs) and visit Somapura Mahavihara, a Buddhist monastery from the 8th century and a UNESCO world heritage site. This is the most impressive archaeological site in Bangladesh.
- Drive to Bogra (70 km, 02 hrs). Visit a Santal tribal village en route to experience their lifestyle; also visit a local bazaar.
- Overnight at Bogra (Hotel Naz Garden)
- After breakfast, drive to Sariakandi (42 km, 01 hr). Visit some chars (river islands) of river Jamuna and see how people live on those small islands struggling with the natural disasters.
- Drive to Rangpur (124 km, 4 hrs) and Visit Tajhat Palace, the most beautiful palace in Northern part of Bangladesh built in the colonial period. Also visit a nearby Kali temple.
- Overnight at Rangpur (Hotel North View / RDRS Guest House / Parjatan Hotel).
- Start late at 10.00 am, drive to Dinajpur (72 km, 02 hrs) and visit Kantajew Temple, which is the most beautiful Hindu temple in Bangladesh. Every inches of the temple is decorated with beautiful terracotta plaques describing epic Hindu stories.
- Also visit Nayabad Mosque built by the Muslim workers who came to build the temple.
- Drive to Saidpur Airport (32 km, 01 hr), and fly to Dhaka at 17.10 H flight. Arrive Dhaka around 18.10 H, and transfer to hotel.
- End of the tour.
Price of Discover Rajshahi
|Group Size||Tour Price|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Pick-up and drop-off from North Dhaka area (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area only).
- 5 Nights accommodation at Rajshahi, Bogra, and Rangpur as described in the itinerary on twin sharing basis, with complementary breakfast.
- Dhaka – Rajshahi 1st class train ticket.
- Saidpur – Dhaka economy class flight ticket.
- Air-conditioned car, driver, and English speaking guide.
- All site entrance tickets.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from South Dhaka area (Hotel 71, FARS Hotel, Asia Hotel & Resort, Ambrosia Guest House, White House Hotel, Hotel Sky City, Suktara Hotel, and the nearby area).
- Any food, drinks, or any personal item.
- Tour is not available to start on Saturday, as Saturday is the off day for 769 Dhumketue Express. However, it is possible to start the tour on Saturday, on which case we will drive you to Rajshahi instead of taking the train.
- 1st class train tickets depending on availability. We’ll try our best to get first-class tickets for you. But if that is not possible, you’ll have a reserved seat on 2nd class.
- It is common for the trains in Bangladesh to be 1-2 hrs late.
- Wearing shorts will not be allowed to enter the mosques. Women need to wear long sleeves while visiting mosques. In other places, wearing shorts will not be any problem.
- Best time to travel:
- June – August: Full mango season. You can taste delicious Bangladeshi mango in Gaur, which is the mango capital of Bangladesh.
- October – March: Weather is cool and less humid.
- We’ll require 50% deposit to book this tour. The rest has to be paid one month before the tour. Details of our online payment system could be found here: Online payment FAQs.
Join Our Community!
Join our Facebook group to meet travelers who've visited Bangladesh and know about their Bangladesh experience, ask questions about traveling Bangladesh and get quick answers, and share anything about traveling Bangladesh. Join Let's go to Bangladesh now!