Tour Duration: 4-Day, 3-Night
Location: Dhaka, Barisal, and Sonargaon
Tour Attractions: Canal Cruise, Floating Markets, Bazaars, Village Life
Best time to go: July – March
Tour Available: Year Round
Next Scheduled Tour: Please Check Bellow
Barisal, the southern division of Bangladesh, is awash with rivers and canals which is part of the Ganges Delta. Hundreds of them flow through this region and the result is a deliciously lush landscape with more shades of green than you ever imagined. Traveling by boat is the way of life here. In Barisal Backwater Tour we’ll take you to explore the rivers and canals of Barisal by country boats where you can experience and photograph life in Ganges Delta which will be a unique experience.
On this tour, after visiting the key sights and attractions of New and Old Dhaka for the whole day, you’ll take an overnight ferry to Barisal and explore its canals and rivers next two days on a small country boat. Here you’ll visit the endless guava gardens and floating guava markets on it’s full ripen season, floating markets of rice, vegetables, and fruits, and experience the traditional life on the sides of the rivers and canals, bazaars, schools, and many more interesting things full of activities.
Returning to Dhaka in the early morning, you’ll visit the attractions of old capital Sonargaon, including the abandoned merchant city Panam Nagar, Folk-Arts and Crafts Museum, a school fully made of bamboo for the disadvantaged children of a neglected Hindu society, and a small river island of Meghna. A highly photogenic tour.
Highlights of Barisal Backwater Tour
- Visit key sights and attractions of New and Old Dhaka.
- Boat ride on live and vibrant river Buriganga.
- Explore rivers and narrow canals and experience life on Ganges Delta.
- Visit endless floating markets of different types.
- Walk on the villages, meet locals, see natural life in Bangladesh.
- Go overland and visit different bazaars, brick factories, schools.
- Visit Sonargaon, the old capital of the Eastern Bengal.
Itinerary of Barisal Backwater Tour
- A guide of us will meet you at your hotel lobby at 08.00 H to pick you up, and will head toward Old Dhaka. You’ll visit key tourist attractions in New and Old Dhaka the whole day, including Dhakeshwari Temple, Lalbagh Fort, Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, Armenian Church, Star Mosque, Ahsan Manzil, and Sadarghat River Station.
- Enjoy a short boat ride at river Buriganga in the evening on a wooden boat to feel the rhythm of the live and vibrant river and enjoy sunset.
- Embark a traditional ferry in Sadarghat River Station at 18.00 H.
- Overnight on a traditional ferry to Barisal (Sleeping cabin)
- Disembark at Barisal in the early morning around 5.30 am, and transfer to your hotel.
- After check-in, and freshen up, drive to a remote place in Barisal on a Tuk-Tuk (1 hour). Upon arrival, you’ll embark at our waiting motorized country boat, and start cruising immediately toward a floating market or other interesting place depending on the day of the week. These floating markets start around 7.00 am and finish at 8.30 am. That is the reason for us to start the days early in this tour.
- Breakfast will be served on the boat bought from a local market. Being a very remote place where no decent restaurant is available, this will mainly be bread and some fruits.
- You’ll cruise the whole day in the rivers and small canals in Barisal and visit a floating market where they bring everything to sell by boat which is full of activities and perfect for photography. Goods on these markets are mainly sold on wholesale from farmers to vendors.
- We’ll buy some seasonal local fruits from a local market for lunch e.g. jack-fruit, watermelon, lychee, mango, coconut, and continue cruising.
- You’ll also visit a bazaar on land, stop on a village and have tea while meeting its people and exchange culture with them, and visit a factory yard where they make fiber from coconut which is used as a raw material to make carpet and rope.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by tuk-tuk, and retire for the day.
- Overnight at Barisal (Hotel Arena).
- Breakfast on a restaurant at Barisal at 7.00 am and transfer to a remote place in Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (1 hour). Embark our waiting boat upon arrival, and start cruising immediately.
- Today we’ll take you some other places to visit through the narrow canals and rivers. You’ll float through the backyards of people’s house and see their lifestyle while they welcome you and greet you from the land, visit numerous guava gardens where 80% of Bangladesh’s guavas are grown, see a floating guava market, visit kids and teachers on a school where you can talk with them and exchange culture.
- Locally bought fruits will be served for lunch on the boat as yesterday.
- Continue cruising through the narrow canals and rivers. The next attraction for today will be visiting a timber market which is the largest market of this type in the southern part of the country. You’ll see logs dumped beside the river spread in miles long places, carried away on the river very slowly with the help of a boat, loading and unloading them manually with the help of tide. Also, we’ll take you ashore to visit numerous sawmills where they saw the logs according to the needs of the customers without taking the least safety measure.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (1 hour).
- You’ll return to the hotel in the afternoon and late check-out. Transfer to Barisal river station at 18.00 H and embark a passenger ferry to Dhaka.
- Overnight at Ferry (Sleeping Cabin).
- Arrive Dhaka early in the morning around 4.30 H. Disembark from the ferry at 7.00 H, have breakfast on a local restaurant, and drive toward Sonargaon (1.5 hr), the old capital of Eastern Bengal.
- Visit Panam Nagar, a completely abandoned merchant city built by the Hindu merchants in the early nineteenth century, a then-thriving center of cotton business. These merchants left the country after the partition of the sub-continent, with a desire to return, which never happened, making it a ghost city now taken care by the archaeological department of Bangladesh.
- Visit Folk-Arts and Crafts Museum, a completely different museum than the others in the country, showcasing culture and traditions of the Bangladeshi people.
- Visit a river island of Meghna to experience the simple life of the farmers. Also visit a school for the disadvantaged children of the lower caste Hindu community, fully made of bamboo. Drive back to Dhaka in the late afternoon.
- Drop-off at your hotel/residence, say good-bye!
- End of the tour.
Price of Barisal Backwater Tour
|Group Size||Tour Price|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- 2 Night accommodation on passenger ferry in a sleeping cabin on twin sharing basis.
- 1.5 Night accommodation in the hotel at Barisal as mentioned in the itinerary on twin sharing basis.
- 2 Breakfast, 2 lunch with locally purchased fruits, drinking water, tea while on country boat at Barisal.
- Breakfast on day-4 on a local restaurant.
- Tuk-Tuk and Rickshaw as transport in Barisal.
- All boat rides mentioned in the itinerary.
- English speaking guide.
- All tips other than our guide, driver, and boat crew.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from South Dhaka area (Hotel 71, FARS Hotel, Asia Hotel & Resorts, Sky City Hotel, White House Hotel, Ambrosia Guest House, and the nearby area)
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Watch video of brick factories in Barisal which you’ll visit on this tour
Important Notes on Barisal Backwater Tour
- This tour is available to book separately outside the scheduled tours any day of the week, year-round.
- Pick-up and drop-off for this tour will be available from North Dhaka area only (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area).
- The price of the tour mentioned on the price chart above is the starting price for the group tour, assuming you want to join with other people on the tour. This price will go down according to the price chart when more people join the tour later.
- We will try to include other people on the tour once you book a group tour, and refund you on cash BDT accordingly during the tour if we find other people to join the tour later. We take a maximum of 6 people on our tours.
- Price for an exclusive private tour will be different than what is provided on the chart above. We’ll not include anyone else on the tour in case of booking a private tour. Contact us for the price if you do not want to join with anyone else on the tour.
- We’ll require the full payment in advance to book this tour. You can pay us online on a secured website with any Visa or MasterCard. Details of our online payment system could be found here: How to pay us.
- Use code OFF SEASON on the booking form to get the off season discount for this tour.
- Off season discount is available to join any scheduled tour only, during the months of April to September.
- There will be no decent restaurant available while exploring the backwaters of Barisal. These are very remote places with no infrastructure at all. You’ll find decent restaurants only in Barisal city upon returning in the evening.
- July – September: Rivers and canals will be full of water, and everything is green in it’s fullest. Also the ripen season of guava when you can see the floating guava markets. Best time of the year to travel.
- October – March: Weather is cool and comfortable, and less humid.
- Sunday & Thursday will be the best days to start this tour, based on the floating market days in Barisal.
- If you need a better hotel in Barisal, you can book Grand Park Hotel by yourself, which is a 3* hotel. We’ll deduct the price of Hotel Arena in that case. Let us know about this during booking if you choose this option.
- Itinerary of the Barisal part of the tour is fully flexible and not fixed. It will be changed depending on the day of the week, as different markets and bazaars sets on different days of the week.
- Floating guava markets will be seen only during the months of monsoon (July-September).
- Floating vegetable markets will be full only during winter (October-March).
- Days on this tour will start very early in the morning. So you need to go to bed early and have a good sleep to enjoy the days.
- This tour is for people who love to see different people and culture.
Departures and Availability
|Departure Dates||Total Places||Available Places||Booking Status|
|20-23 Apr 2020||6||0||Cancelled|
Reviews of Barisal Backwater Tour
Also available on
Barisal Backwater Tour is included in the following packages. You can book one of these packages too to enjoy this tour:
Join Our Community!
Join our Facebook group to meet travelers who've visited Bangladesh and know about their Bangladesh experience, ask questions about traveling Bangladesh and get quick answers, and share anything about traveling Bangladesh. Join Let's go to Bangladesh now!