Tour Duration: 4-Day, 3-Night
Location: Dhaka, Barisal, and Sonargaon
Tour Attractions: Canal Cruise, Floating Markets, Bazaars, Village Life
Best time to go: July – March
Tour Available: Round the year
Next Scheduled Tour: 30 Jan-02 Feb, 2019
Barisal, the southern division of Bangladesh, is awash with rivers and canals which is part of the Ganges Delta. Hundreds of them flow through this region and the result is a deliciously lush landscape with more shades of green than you ever imagined. Traveling by boat is the way of life here. In Barisal Backwater Tour we take you to explore the rivers and canals of Barisal by country boats where you can experience and photograph life in Ganges Delta which will be an unique experience.
After visiting Dhaka City for the whole day, you’ll take an overnight ferry to Barisal and explore it’s canals and rivers next 2 day on a small country boat. Here you’ll visit the endless guava gardens and floating guava markets on it’s full ripen season, floating markets of rice, vegetables, and fruits, traditional life on the sides of the rivers and canals, bazaars, schools, and many more interesting things full of activities. Returning to Dhaka on the early morning, you’ll visit Sonargaon for the whole day, which is the old capital of Bengal region. A highly photogenic tour.
Highlights of Barisal Backwater Tour
- Visit sights and attractions in New and Old Dhaka.
- Rickshaw ride on narrow streets of Dhaka.
- Boat ride on live and vibrant river Buriganga.
- Explore rivers and narrow canals and experience life on Ganges Delta.
- Visit endless floating markets of different types.
- Walk on the villages, meet locals, see natural life in Bangladesh.
- Go overland and visit different bazaars, brick factories, schools.
- Visit sights and attractions in old capital Sonargaon.
Itinerary of Barisal Backwater Tour
- Check-out from hotel and start at 08.00 H. Visit key tourist attractions in New and Old Dhaka the whole day, including Dhakeshwari Temple, Lalbagh Fort, Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, Armenian Church, Star Mosque, Ahsan Manzil, and Sadarghat River Station.
- Ride rickshaw on the narrow streets of Old Dhaka where cars can’t reach. Pass through interesting Bazaars.
- Enjoy a short boat ride at river Buriganga in the evening on a wooden boat to feel the rhythm of the live and vibrant river and enjoy sunset.
- Embark a traditional ferry at Sadarghat River Station at 18.00 H for an overnight journey to Barisal.
- Overnight at Ferry (Sleeping Cabin)
- Disembark at Barisal in the early morning around 5.30 am, and transfer to your hotel.
- After check-in, and freshen up, drive to a remote place in Barisal on a Tuk-Tuk (01 hour). Upon arrival you’ll embark at our waiting motorized country boat, and start cruising immediately toward a floating market or other interesting place depending on the day of the week. These floating markets starts around 7.00 am and finish within 8.30 am. That is the reason for us to start the days early in this tour.
- Breakfast will be served on the boat bought from a local market. Being a very remote place where no descent restaurant is available, this will mainly be bread and some fruits.
- You’ll cruise whole day in the rivers and small canals in Barisal and visit a floating market where they bring everything to sell by boat which is full of activities and perfect for photography. Goods on these markets are mainly sold on wholesale from farmers to vendors.
- We’ll buy some seasonal local fruits from a local market for lunch e.g. jack-fruit, watermelon, lichee, mango, coconut, and continue cruising.
- You’ll also visit bazaar on land, stop on a village and have tea while meeting it’s people and exchange culture with them, and visit a factory yard where they make fiber from coconut which is used as a raw material to make carpet and rope.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by tuk-tuk, and retire for the day.
- Overnight at Barisal (Hotel Arena).
- Breakfast on a restaurant at Barisal at 7.00 am, and transfer to a remote place in Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (01 hour). Embark our waiting boat upon arrival, and start cruising immediately.
- Today we’ll take you some other places to visit through the narrow canals and rivers. You’ll float through the backyards of people’s house and see their lifestyle while they welcome you and greet you from the land, visit numerous guava gardens where 80% of Bangladesh’s guavas are grown, see a floating guava market, visit kids and teachers on a school where you can talk with them and exchange culture.
- Locally bought fruits will be served for lunch on boat as yesterday.
- Continue cruising through the narrow canals and rivers. Next attraction for today will be visiting a timber market which is the largest market of this type in the southern part of the country. You’ll see logs dumped beside the river spread in miles long places, carried away on the river very slowly with the help of a boat, loading and unloading them manually with the help of tide. Also we’ll take you ashore to visit numerous saw mills where they saw the logs according to the needs of the customers without taking the least safety measure.
- Return to our starting place around 3.00 pm, transfer to Barisal by Tuk-Tuk (01 hour).
- You’ll return to hotel in the afternoon and late check-out. Transfer to Barisal river station at 18.00 H and embark a passenger ferry to Dhaka.
- Overnight at Ferry (Sleeping Cabin).
- Arrive Dhaka early in the morning around 4.30 H. Disembark from ferry at 7.00 H, have breakfast on a local restaurant, and drive toward Sonargaon (1.5 hr), which is the old capital of the Bengal region.
- Visit Folk-arts and Crafts Museum, medieval period Goaldi Mosque, a school fully made of bamboo for disadvantaged children of the neglected Hindu society, and abandoned merchant city Panam Nagar. Also you’ll visit a char (small river island) of river Meghna, to experience the traditional lifestyle of the farmers.
- Drive toward Dhaka and drop-off at your hotel/residence, say good bye!
- End of the tour.
Price of Barisal Backwater Tour
|Group Size||Classic Package |
Inclusions and Exclusions
- 2 Night accommodation on passenger ferry in a sleeping cabin on twin sharing basis.
- 1.5 Night accommodation in the hotel at Barisal as mentioned in the itinerary on twin sharing basis.
- 2 Breakfast, 2 lunch with locally purchased fruits, drinking water, tea while on country boat at Barisal.
- Breakfast on day-4 on a local restaurant.
- Tuk-Tuk and Rickshaw as transport in Barisal.
- All boat rides mentioned in the itinerary.
- English speaking guide.
- All tips other than our guide, driver, and boat crew.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from outside the North Dhaka area as mentioned bellow.
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Watch video of brick factories in Barisal which you’ll visit on this tour
Notes on Barisal Backwater Tour
- Pick-up and drop-off for this tour will be available from North Dhaka area only (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area).
- Itinerary of Barisal part of the tour is fully flexible and not fixed. It will be changed depending on the day of the week, as different markets and bazaars sets on different days of the week.
- Days on this tour will start very early in the morning. So you need to go to bed early and have a good sleep to enjoy the days.
- There will be no descent restaurant available while exploring the backwaters of Barisal. These are very remote places. You’ll find decent restaurants only in Barisal city upon returning in the evening.
- This tour is for people who love to see different people and culture.
- Best time to travel:
- July – September: Rivers and canals will be full of water, and everything is green in it’s fullest. Also the ripen season of guava when you can see the floating guava markets. Best time of the year to travel.
- October – March: Weather is cool and comfortable, and less humid.
- Sunday & Thursday will be the best day to start this tour, based on the floating market days in Barisal.
Also available on
Barisal Backwater Tour is included in the following packages. You can book one of these packages too to enjoy this tour: