Tour Duration: Full Day Tour
Location: Sonargaon, the old capital of Bengal
Tour Attractions: Sights, People, and Culture in old capital
Best time to go: October-March
Tour Available: Year Round
Next Scheduled Tour: Contact us
Visit the ancient capital Sonargaon which flourished as the region’s major inland port and center of commerce during the pre-Muslim period. See the remaining of Bangladesh old capital, the Folk Arts & Crafts Museum, abandoned city Panam, abandoned Hindu temples, a primary school made of bamboo, and life at chars (small island) on mighty river Meghna in this day tour.
In the museum, all the local folklore items are displayed, where you’ll discover the heritage of this country. It is surrounded by gardens and pools, making a very calm place. In Panam Nagar, you’ll wonder in an abandoned city from the early 20th century, while visiting Goaldi Mosque will take you back to the Sultanate period in Bengal. At chars, you’ll see the simple life of farmers of this country. Bangladesh Old Capital Tour is a very popular day tour of us.
- Visit abandoned merchant city – Panam Nagar.
- Visit 15th century Goaldi Mosque.
- Visit Folk-arts and crafts museum.
- Visit a school for disadvantaged children.
- Boat ride on mighty river Meghna.
- Experience traditional life on a char (river island).
Itinerary of Bangladesh Old Capital tour
- 08.00 – 08.00 AM: A guide and driver will meet you at your hotel lobby/residence, pick you up, and start driving immediately toward Sonargaon which is located 50 km away from North Dhaka and could require 1.5-02 hrs to reach depending on traffic.
- 09.30 – 09.45 AM: Visit Goaldi Mosque. Built in 1519, this graceful single-domed mosque is the most impressive of the few extant monuments of the original capital city, and a fine example of pre-Mughal architecture.
- 10.00 – 11.00 AM: Visit Sadar Bari – a beautiful rajbari (palace) built in 1901 inside which is located the Folk Arts and Crafts Musium full of folk arts and handicrafts from the 17th century onwards. We’ll also visit the adjacent new museum building of folk arts. These museums represents the authentic culture and heritage of Bengali nation.
- 11.15 – 12.00 PM: Visit abandoned city Panam Nagar. Constructed between 1895 and 1905, this tiny settlement consists of a single street, lined with around 50 mansions built by wealthy Hindu merchants, abandoned during the partition between India and Pakistan when the owners fled to India. This is a highlight of Bangladesh Old Capital Tour.
- 12.05 – 12.20 PM: Visit a primary school for the disadvantaged children from neglected Hindu society fully made of bamboo.
- 12.30 – 01.15 PM: Lunch on a descent local restaurant (authentic local food).
- 01.30 – 03.30 PM: Visit a char (small river island) in mighty river Meghna by country boat to see traditional life of farmers in Bangladesh, and drive toward Dhaka
- 05.00 – 05.30 PM: Drop at the hotel/residence. End of Bangladesh Old Capital tour.
Price of Bangladesh Old Capital tour
|Group Size||Tour Price|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Air-conditioned car and driver.
- English speaking guide.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Lunch on a local restaurant (authentic local food).
- One bottle of drinking water.
- All rickshaw and boat rides.
- All tips except our guide and driver.
Does not include:
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- Any personal item.
Notes on Bangladesh Old Capital tour
- Sonargaon Folk-arts and Crafts Museum is closed at Wednesdays & Thursdays. Other sites are open 7 days a week.
- Pick-up time will be 9.00 am during Fridays, Saturdays, and other govt. holidays, as there would be less traffic on the streets these days. For hotels in the southern part of Dhaka city, pickup time will always be at 9.00 am.
- We’ll require the full payment in advance online to book this tour. Details of our online payment system could be found here: How to pay us.