Location: Mongla, Bangladesh
Tour Attractions: Wildlife tour to the Sundarban Mangrove Forest
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Year Round
Next Scheduled Tour: Please Check Bellow
The Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest in the world and one of the wildest, least-known environments in southern Asia. Located in the delta formed by the confluence of Ganges, Brahmaputra, and Meghna Rivers in the Bay of Bengal, the Sundarbans extend over 10,000 sq km. Two-thirds of the Sundarbans is located in Bangladesh, and the rest is in India. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and designated a wetland site of international importance under the Ramsar Convention.
The Sundarbans is the home of 104 Royal Bengal Tigers, 30,000 spotted deer, 35 species of reptiles (including giant cobras and pythons and eight species of amphibians), 300 species of birds, 120 species of fish, 42 species of mammals, numerous river dolphins, wild boars, claw-less otters, monkeys, and salt-water crocodiles together with many other species of wildlife. Hundreds of rivers, creeks, and canals are the veins of the forest, making it a pristine environment.
Our Sundarbans tour will take you deep inside the forest on a small houseboat to experience this magical environment for three whole days. Unlike other tour operators in Bangladesh, we organize this tour with a maximum of 6 participants and take our guests through some exclusive parts of the forest, where the traditional operators with their larger vessels can not go because of the shallowness of the canals. It ensures maximum wildlife spotting opportunities for our guests and provides an exclusive experience away from the regular tourists in the forest.
This tour starts and ends at Mongla, located on the forest’s edge (240 km from Dhaka, 53 km from Khulna). You can either book our 4 days Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, 5 days Dhaka, Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, or 8 days ‘arrival to departure’ Sundarbans Safari for the convenience of commencing and finishing in Dhaka; all of them offer a superior experience.
Highlights of Sundarbans Tour
- Explore the largest mangrove forest on earth – Sundarbans, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Spend full 3 days deep inside the Sundarbans on a small houseboat, with a group of 6 participants (maximum), anchoring in different places each night.
- Visit the wildlife sanctuaries inside the Sundarbans.
- Explore creeks and canals inside the Sundarbans on a wooden rowing boat for the maximum chance of spotting wildlife in the early morning and evening.
- Walk on a trail inside the forest accompanied by armed forest guards.
- Enjoy the best and the cleanest beach in Bangladesh deep inside the forest, hardly meeting any other tourists.
- Spot wildlife from an observation tower overlooking an open area where animals come to eat and drink.
- Visit a fishing village to experience the life of the fishermen of the Sundarbans.
- Visit a crocodile and turtle breeding center.
- Visit a dolphin sanctuary for the endangered Ganges and Irrawaddy Dolphin, the last two freshwater dolphin species in Asia.
Itinerary of Sundarbans Tour
- Our guide will meet you at the entrance of Parjatan Hotel at 7.00 H, transfer you to our waiting boat, and head toward Sundarbans immediately. Breakfast will be served on the boat. You’ll be inside the forest within 15 minutes of starting the journey. Stop at a forest station on the way to complete formalities, and continue toward Kochikhali.
- We’ll go through many small canals and rivers with our small boat where big boats cannot go because of their size and the shallow canals. Taking you through these rewarding narrow canals is the main point of this tiny group tour on a small boat, where is your best chance to spot a tiger and many wildlife.
- Stop at Harbaria Eco Park and walk on its 30 mins trail for the first experience of Sundarbans. People on day tours at Sundarbans end up visiting up to this point, doing which we never recommend.
- Before sunset, explore a small canal on a noiseless wooden rowboat searching for wildlife. They come to drink water in the evening and morning on the creeks and canals. You’ll sit on the boat quietly and float by in a breath-taking environment listening to many birds singing and the calls of many animals. We’ll reach Kochikhali in the evening and stop for the night hold.
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of Kochikhali forest station.
- Today is going to be your busiest day at Sundarbans.
- Ride a noiseless wooden rowboat on a canal in the morning, searching for wildlife.
- Back to the main boat, and have breakfast at 07.30 H. Start walking toward Jamtola beach, the quietest, nicest, and the cleanest beach in Bangladesh. Enjoy the beach for an hour, and walk toward Jamtola tourist spot. The entire trail will be about 10 km. Transfer to our waiting boat, which already arrived here from Kochikhali through an inside canal.
- Lunch on the boat and have an hour of rest.
- Visit Kotka Wildlife Sanctuary, and if high tide, have a rewarding boat ride on a canal near the sanctuary.
- Go to the watchtower at Kotka before the sunset and sit quietly for half an hour. This is a feeding ground for animals. Lots of deer and other wild animals come here in the evening to eat grass and drink water. You never know what surprises can be waiting for you here!
- After sunset, start the boat for our onward location to another suitable forest station for the night hold, based on the tide.
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of the forest station.
- Go for a boat ride on the noiseless wooden rowboat at 06.00 H and explore a canal near the forest station. Return to the main boat at 07.30 H and have breakfast. We’ll start our return journey toward Mongla from here through other small rivers and canals.
- Visit a fishing village and Koromjal Crocodile Breeding Center on the way, reach Mongla in the late afternoon, say goodbye!
- End of the tour.
Price of Sundarbans Tour
- 5-6 Pax Gruop: $480 US Per Person
- 2-4 Pax Group: Please contact us for the price
- 7-16 Pax Group on a Medium Boat: Please contact us for a discounted price
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Accommodation on the boat in a sleeping cabin on a twin-sharing basis.
- 5,500 BDT forest permit fee.
- All meals, drinking water, tea, and coffee while on the boat at Sundarbans for three days.
- An English-speaking guide.
- All tips other than our guide and boat crew.
Does not include:
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- 1,200 BDT fee for video camera in Sundarbans (if any).
- Any personal item.
Departures and Availability
FAQs on Sundarbans Tours
Why do Sundarbans tour in a tiny group?
- Because your best chance to spot wildlife on a Sundarbans tour is when you go on a Sundarbans tour with a tiny group. This will increase your chance to spot wildlife many times.
- In Bangladesh, all the traditional tour operators run tours in Sundarbans on a 40-70 people group. Going on a Sundarbans tour with a big group like these, people end up seeing very little or no wildlife at all. We organize only small group Sundarbans tours of a maximum of 6 travelers to give you the best experience of Sundarbans for your time and money.
Why do Sundarbans tour in Bangladesh instead of India?
- 60% of Sundarbans is in Bangladesh, which is more diverse with its wildlife, flora, and fauna.
- You visit a wild forest in Bangladesh, not a national park. Everything you see in Bangladesh part of Sundarbans is wild.
- You spend a full 3-day inside the forest while doing the Sundarbans tour with us in Bangladesh. You can spend just one day inside the forest while doing a Sundarbans tour from India.
- On a Sundarbans tour in India, you stay at a hut in a village outside the forest. In Bangladesh, you stay on our comfortable houseboat with a western-style toilet deep inside the forest anchoring in different places each day. There will be armed forest rangers on board for security.
- In India, you visit the forest with an engine boat starting from the village. In Bangladesh, we'll take you to explore the creeks and canals deep inside the forest with a noiseless wooden rowboat. You float on the canals quietly in the tranquilizing environment and get the best chance to spot wildlife while they do not flee hearing the disturbing noise of the engine.
- Sundarbans tour in Bangladesh with us offers more activities, e.g., walking deep inside the forest, spending time on a beautiful sandy beach at the Bay of Bengal inside the forest while you hardly see any people, watching wildlife from an observation tower in a dense raw forest, explore creeks and canals with a noiseless rowboat to increase your chance to spot wildlife, visit wildlife sanctuaries.
Why start Sundarbans tour from Mongla instead of Khulna?
Because you reach the forest within 10 minutes of starting from Mongla. If you start from Khulna, half of your day is wasted to reach the forest and another half day to come back. All the traditional tour operators in Bangladesh run their tours from Khulna while we run our Sundarbans tours from Mongla.
Why doing a day tour in Sundarbans is a complete NO?
Never do a day tour of Sundarbans! You might want to quickly sample Sundarbans to save time and money, but it will be a complete waste of your time and money as you will end up visiting just an Eco Park and a zoo which will be very disappointing; no matter whom you book with! It will be simply a bad taste of the forest. Either do a 3-day Sundarbans tour or save it for a future trip. There is nothing in between!
Why book a Sundarbans tour with Nijhoom Tours?
We are a multi-award-winning local tour operator in Bangladesh with vast local knowledge and the highest quality. We have 350+ reviews from our clients on TripAdvisor with an average rating of 5 on 5. We've been featured in International Travel News Magazine multiple times, published in California, USA. You'll have a great experience on our tours. By booking a Sundarbans tour with us, you also support a local small business instead of the big corporations dominating the tourism industry with their large marketing budgets.
Are you running the Sundarbans tours during the pandemic?
Despite the pandemic, we are open and running our Sundarbans tours regularly. Check out our 3 days Sundarbans Tour, 4 days Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, 5 days Dhaka, Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, or 8 days Sundarbans Safari for a memorable tour of Sundarbans. You can check out here the latest Covid-19 travel rules in Bangladesh.
What are the Covid-19 measures on your Sundarbans tours?
Wearing masks, cleaning hands frequently, disinfecting the boat are some of the Covid-19 measures we have taken on our Sundarbans tours. Hand Rubs are always available on our boat for the guests.
Important notes on Sundarbans Tour
- Itinerary of this tour is just a general outline, and not fixed. It could be changed depending on the season, moon phase, tide, daylight hours, and fog. But we’ll try to include all the places and activities mentioned in the itinerary as much as possible.
- This boat is a very basic boat without air-conditioning, electricity, and running hot water (we will supply them on bucket). It has accommodation facilities for 8 people at max and one English toilet. But we have a larger boat too to arrange a tour for bigger groups.
- The cabins are lit by small lights running on battery. We’ll run the generator in the evening for a couple of hours every day to charge your devices.
- You’ll get mobile phone signal of GrameenPhone on the first half of day-01. In Kotka, a new mobile phone tower of Teletalk opened recently, so you’ll get full network coverage of only Teletalk in Kotka with 2G internet facilities which are very slow. No other SIM card will work inside other parts of the forest.
- For hiking in the forest on day-2, the land is flat and we will not go through a very dense forest, so it will be easy for most of the people, as long as you can walk about 10 kilometers. The trail is dry, not muddy. Bring covered shoes which are suitable for hiking and can protect you from small grass and trees with spikes.
- If you do not want to hike, you can remain on the boat which will be still enjoyable, as it will go from Kochikhali to Kotka through small canals, which will be a ride of about 03 hours.
- It is better to book this tour as early as possible. At least 06 weeks ahead is a good time to book the tour.
Experiences of Sundarbans Tours with us
More Sundarbans Tour Packages
Sundarbans Tour Also Included In
Sundarbans Tour is included in most of our holiday packages. You can book one of these packages too to visit Sundarbans:
- Highlights of Bangladesh (11 Days)
- Glories of Bangladesh (14 Days)
- Raas Festival Tour (16 Days)
- Best of Bangladesh (18 Days)
- Discover Bangladesh (28 Days)