Location: Bagerhat, Mongla, and Khulna
Tour Attractions: Sundarbans Mangrove Forest, Sixty Dome Mosque
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Year round / Any day start
Next Scheduled Tour: Please Check Bellow
The Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest on earth. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and designated a wetland site of international importance under the Ramsar Convention. Bagerhat is a 15th-century Muslim city full of great archaeological mosques, among which the Sixty Dome Mosque is the most famous. It is another UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour will take you to visit the most significant mosques and a magnificent Hindu temple in Bagerhat and a whole three-day excursion to the Sundarbans Mangrove Forest for a chance to see Bengal tigers, spotted deer, river dolphins, wild boars, claw-less otters, monkeys, and salt-water crocodiles together with many other species of wildlife and birds. You’ll visit two UNESCO World Heritage Sites on this tour.
You’ll start by flying to Jessore, driving to Bagerhat, and visiting the mosques and the Hindu temple for a whole day. You’ll spend the next three days in Sundarbans and fly back to Dhaka on the last day evening. This tour will give you a chance to enjoy the quietness of Bagerhat and the tranquility of Sundarbans in the shortest possible time.
If you live in Bangladesh and want to visit Bagerhat and Sundarbans in the shortest possible time without visiting Dhaka, this is the tour you should book. Book our Dhaka, Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour to include Dhaka with it. For adding the airport transfers with your arrival and departures, and the accommodation in Dhaka, book our Sundarbans Safari tour instead.
Highlights of Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour
- Explore the largest mangrove forest on earth – Sundarbans, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for full 3 days.
- Visit historical sites at Bagerhat, another UNESCO World Heritage Site from the 15th-century, including the Sixty Dome Mosque.
- Spend full 3 days deep inside the Sundarbans on a small houseboat, with a group of 6 participants (maximum), anchoring in different places each night.
- Visit the wildlife sanctuaries inside the Sundarbans.
- Explore creeks and canals inside the Sundarbans on a wooden rowing boat for the maximum chance of spotting wildlife in the early morning and evening.
- Walk on a trail inside the forest accompanied with armed forest guards.
- Enjoy the best and the cleanest beach in Bangladesh deep inside the forest, hardly meeting any other tourists.
- Spot wildlife from an observation tower overlooking an open area where animals come to eat and drink.
- Visit a fishing village to experience the life of the fishermen of the Sundarbans.
- Visit a crocodile and turtle breeding center.
- Visit a dolphin sanctuary for the endangered Ganges and Irrawaddy Dolphin, the last two remaining freshwater dolphin species in Asia.
Itinerary of Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour
Price of Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour
- 4-6 Pax Gruop: $775 US Per Person
- 2-3 Pax Group: Please contact us for the price
- 7-16 Pax Group on a Medium Boat: Please contact us for a discounted price
- Private Tour: Please contact us for the price
- Single Supplement: $15 US
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Pick-up and drop-off from the North Dhaka area (Uttara, Nikunja, Gulshan, Banani, and Baridhara area).
- Dhaka-Jessore-Dhaka economy class flight tickets.
- 3 Nights accommodation in hotels and boat cabins as mentioned in the itinerary with complementary breakfast on twin sharing basis.
- All meals, drinking water, tea, and coffee while on the boat at Sundarbans for three days on Day-2, 3, and 4.
- All boat rides.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Air-conditioned car, driver, and English speaking guide.
- 5,500 BDT per person forest permission fee for Sundarbans.
- All tips except our guide, driver, and boat crew.
Does not include:
- Pick-up and drop-off from South Dhaka area (Hotel 71, FARS Hotel, Asia Hotel & Resort, Ambrosia Guest House, White House Hotel, Hotel Sky City, Suktara Hotel, and the nearby area).
- Any food or drinks other than mentioned above.
- 1,200 BDT fee for video camera in Sundarbans (if any).
- Any personal item.
Departures and Availability
FAQs on Sundarbans Tours
Why do Sundarban tour in a tiny group?
- Because your best chance to spot wildlife on a Sundarban tour is when you go on a Sundarban tour with a tiny group. This will increase your chance to spot wildlife many times.
- In Bangladesh, all the traditional tour operators run tours in Sundarban on a 40-70 people group. Going on a Sundarban tour with a big group like these, people end up seeing very little or no wildlife at all. We organize only small group Sundarban tours of a maximum of 6 travelers to give you the best experience of Sundarban for your time and money.
Why do Sundarban tour in Bangladesh instead of India?
- 60% of Sundarban is in Bangladesh, which is more diverse with its wildlife, flora, and fauna.
- You visit a wild forest in Bangladesh, not a national park. Everything you see in Bangladesh part of Sundarban is wild.
- You spend a full 3 days inside the forest while doing the Sundarban tour with us in Bangladesh. You can spend just one day inside the forest while doing a Sundarban tour from India.
- On a Sundarban tour in India, you stay at a hut in a village outside the forest. In Bangladesh, you stay on our comfortable houseboat with a western-style toilet deep inside the forest anchoring in different places each day. There will be armed forest rangers on board for security.
- In India, you visit the forest with an engine boat starting from the village. In Bangladesh, we'll take you to explore the creeks and canals deep inside the forest with a noiseless wooden rowboat. You float on the canals quietly in the tranquilizing environment and get the best chance to spot wildlife while they do not flee hearing the disturbing noise of the engine.
- Sundarban tour in Bangladesh with us offers more activities, e.g., walking deep inside the forest, spending time on a beautiful sandy beach at the Bay of Bengal inside the forest while you hardly see any people, watching wildlife from an observation tower in a dense raw forest, explore creeks and canals with a noiseless rowboat to increase your chance to spot wildlife, visit wildlife sanctuaries.
Why start Sundarban tour from Mongla instead of Khulna?
Because you reach the forest within 10 minutes of starting from Mongla. If you start from Khulna, half of your day is wasted to reach the forest and another half day to come back. All the traditional tour operators in Bangladesh run their tours from Khulna while we run our Sundarban tours from Mongla.
Why doing a day tour in Sundarban is a complete NO?
Never do a day tour of Sundarban! You might want to quickly sample Sundarban to save time and money, but it will be a complete waste of your time and money as you will end up visiting just an Eco Park and a zoo which will be very disappointing; no matter whom you book with! It will be simply a bad taste of the forest. Either do a 3-day Sundarban tour or save it for a future trip. There is nothing in between!
Why book a Sundarban tour with Nijhoom Tours?
We are a multi-award-winning local tour operator in Bangladesh with vast local knowledge and the highest quality. We have 350+ reviews from our clients on TripAdvisor with an average rating of 5 on 5. We've been featured in International Travel News Magazine multiple times, published in California, USA. You'll have a great experience on our tours. By booking a Sundarban tour with us, you also support a local small business instead of the big corporations who are dominating the tourism industry with their large marketing budgets.
Are you running the Sundarban tours during the pandemic?
Despite the pandemic, we are open and running our Sundarban tours regularly. Check out our 3-day Sundarban Tour, 4-day Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, 5-day Dhaka, Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour, or 8-day Sundarbans Safari for a memorable tour of Sundarban. You can check out here the latest Covid-19 travel rules in Bangladesh.
What are the Covid-19 measures on your Sundarban tours?
Wearing masks, cleaning hands frequently, disinfecting the boat are some of the Covid-19 measures we have taken on our Sundarban tours. Hand Rubs are always available on our boat for the guests.
Important Notes on Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour
- This tour is available to start on any day of the week outside our schedule – year-round.
- Booking this tour at least 6 weeks in advance is advised.
- The price of the tour mentioned in the price chart above is the starting price for the group tours, assuming you want to join with other people on the tour and reduce your cost. The price for an exclusive private tour will be different than what is provided on the chart above.
- We will try to include other people on the tour once you book a group tour. If we find anyone to join the tour later, the price will go down for you accordingly. We’ll take a maximum of 5 people on this tour including you.
- We’ll not include anyone else on the tour in case of booking a private tour. Contact us for the price of a private tour if you do not want to join with anyone else on the tour.
- Early-Booking discount is available for the first two travelers to join any scheduled tour six months in advance. Discount will not be applicable for any tour outside the schedule.
- Use code “EARLY BOOKING” on the booking form to get the early booking discount.
- Off-Season discount is available for everyone to join any scheduled tour anytime during April to September.
- Use code “OFF SEASON” on the booking form to get the off-season discount.
- None of the discounts will be available for booking a private tour.
- The hotel used on this tour is a tourist standard hotel of 3* standard, with standard facilities for the foreigners e.g. clean room, air-conditioning, hot water, western-style toilet, and complimentary breakfast.
- Bangladesh is full of mosquitoes. You may find some in your hotel too. The hotels will normally spray aerosol in your room to keep them away. But if they don’t, give a call to the reception instead of spending a sleepless night. They will come and spray as many times as you need. You can also bring a mosquito spray or buy one upon arrival at the beginning of your trip, which will cost less than $5 US and will cover your whole trip.
- Hotels in Bangladesh try to provide their best possible service to foreigners. If there is an issue with your room at any of the hotels, simply let them know while you are there. They will try their best to resolve the issue.
- Nijhoom Tours reserves the right to change any hotel listed in the itinerary to a similar standard one if the actual hotel is not available to book.
- We use cars only while it is not possible to avoid, e.g. no train, boat, or flight. Roads in Bangladesh are broken and with heavy traffic. Be patient while traveling in a car.
- Distance mentioned in the itinerary is taken from Google Maps.
- Travel time mentioned in the itinerary is our best judgment. It could be delayed or earlier depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Itinerary of Sundarbans Tour is just a general outline, and not fixed. It could be changed depending on the season, moon phase, tide, daylight hours, and fog. But we’ll try to include all the activities mentioned in the itinerary as much as possible.
- The boat for Sundarbans is a very basic boat without air-conditioning, electricity, and running hot water (we will supply them on bucket). It has accommodation facilities for 8 people in the max and one western-style toilet. But we have a larger boat too to arrange a tour for bigger groups.
- The cabins in the boat at Sundarbans are lit by small lights running on battery. We’ll run the generator in the evening for a couple of hours every day to charge your devices.
- You’ll get the mobile-phone signal of GrameenPhone on the first half of day-03. In Kotka, a new mobile phone tower of Teletalk opened recently, so you’ll get full network coverage of the only Teletalk in Kotka with 2G internet facilities which are very slow. No other SIM card will work inside other parts of the forest.
- For trekking in the forest on day-4, the land is flat and we will not go through a very dense forest, so it will be easy for most of the people, as long as you can walk about 10 km. The trail is dry, not muddy. Bring covered shoes which are suitable for trekking and can protect you from small grass and trees with spikes.
- If you do not want to walk, you can remain on the boat which will be still enjoyable, as it will go from Kochikhali to Kotka through small canals, which will be a ride of about 03 hours.
- No binocular will be provided at Sundarbans. Bring your own.
- Although we’ve seen tigers in Sundarbans a few times on our tours, chances of seeing a tiger in Sundarbans are very slim, because there are only about one hundred tigers in the Bangladesh part of the forest (one tiger in about 60 sq km) and they are nocturnal animals who hardly come outside from their den during day time.
- Being a mangrove swamp, there is no way to track tigers in Sundarbans. We’ll go through the narrow canals during our journey to the forest with our small vessel, and also will take you to the creeks and canals inside the forest early morning on a noiseless rowboat, which will maximize your chance of seeing a tiger. Other than that, there is nothing much the guide can do to show you a tiger there.
- The main attraction of the forest is not seeing a tiger, rather enjoying its tranquility outside the human settlements. Please read the experiences of the previous travelers with us to understand what you can expect in Sundarbans. If seeing a tiger is your main purpose, please do not book this tour, because you’ll be disappointed at the end.
- Single supplement is applicable for the hotels only. You might not be provided separate cabins on the boat at Sundarbans, even if you pay for the single supplement, based on the availability.
- All the breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 2 dinners are included on the trip. You need to pay for the rest of the lunches and dinners during your trip. A meal at a decent local restaurant will cost about $2-$5 US.
- Options for vegetarian food in the local restaurants are very limited. You need to go to a more expensive Western restaurant to find good vegetarian food.
- Vegetarian food will not be an issue on our boat at Sundarbans.
- Tea and soft drinks are very cheap. Mineral water is widely available.
- Bangladesh is a secular Muslim country, and whilst the people are very liberal and friendly, alcohol is not widely available. There are only a couple of hotels on the trip which have a bar, and even at these establishments, you cannot usually drink in the restaurant. Local beer, when available, costs approx. $3 US for a 300ml can, and a measure of spirits is similarly priced. Wine is not available. It may sometimes be possible to purchase alcohol outside the hotels, but it is prohibited to consume in public places. There is a duty-free shop on arrival in Dhaka airport (before immigration) and you are permitted to buy two bottles of spirits per person.
- In Dhaka, there are some wirehouses from where you can buy alcohol showing your foreign passport. But they only sell whole cartons of usually 24 bottles/cans.
- Your luggage should not exceed 20kgs (44lbs). One large suitcase/rucksack, and one small hand luggage/rucksack is acceptable.
- You should bear in mind that Bangladesh tends to have a conservative attitude towards dress. Women, and also to certain extent men, will find that the way they dress will often determine the degree of respect they receive from both men and women.
- Mosques, temples, churches, and synagogues are places of worship and visitors should be modestly dressed. Admission might be denied to men and women wearing short pants/skirts, sleeveless t-shirts/blouses. Bare shoulders and midriffs are not permitted and should be covered with shawls. You also need to remove shoes while entering one of these places.
- It will not be appropriate in Bangladesh for women to hide behind bushes for a pee. Any time you need to use the toilet, ask your guide. He will arrange a nearby toilet for you in someone’s house or in a public place.
- Wi-Fi internet is widely available in Bangladesh. You’ll find free Wi-Fi on most of the hotels on this tour. Upscale restaurants will also have free Wi-Fi.
- Mobile phone operators have 3G coverage on most of the places in the country. 4G Service started in February 2018 and is supposed to be available in all the big cities shortly. Mobile internet speed is not satisfactory however on any of them.
- Tipping is common practice in Asia. In Bangladesh, most workers will expect a small tip, anything from 50 Taka upwards depending on the service provided. At the end of the tour, if your principal guide, together with the driver and the boat crew, has been helpful then you could think about tipping them. The amount can obviously be left to you.
- Bangladesh is an underdeveloped country with poor infrastructure. Nothing works here perfectly and as planned. Organizing a tour in Bangladesh may bring some inconvenience occasionally. Be patient and flexible while traveling Bangladesh.
- While traveling in a group, be cooperative and tolerant with the interests and difficulties of your co-travelers.
- Your guide is not your enemy. He is with you to assist you and protect you in every way possible. In case of any issue with anything, simply let him know instead of trying to kill him. He will try his best to resolve the issue.
- Bangladesh is not for every regular tourist. Do enough research about Bangladesh, the tour, hotels on the tour, and everything else possible before booking this tour, so that you do not have unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed after the tour.
Experiences of Sundarbans Tours with us
More Sundarbans Tour Packages
Also Included In
Bagerhat & Sundarbans Tour is included in most of our holiday packages. You can book one of these packages too to enjoy this tour:
- Highlights of Bangladesh (11 Days)
- Glories of Bangladesh (14 Days)
- Raas Festival Tour (16 Days)
- Best of Bangladesh (18 Days)
- Discover Bangladesh (28 Days)