Tour Duration: 08 Days, 07 Nights
Location: Dhaka, Bagerhat, Mongla, Sundarbans, Khulna
Tour Attractions: Old Dhaka, Rocket, 60 Dome Mosque, Sundarbans
Best time to go: October – March
Tour Available: Round the year starting with Sat, Mon, or Fri
Next Scheduled Tour: 21-28 Apr, 22-29 Sep, 03-10 Nov, 01-08 Dec, 2017
Arrival to departure package to visit 02 World Heritage Sight in Bangladesh – Sundarbans and Bagerhat, including an overnight journey on a century old paddle steamer called Rocket, and experiencing the life and sights at Old Dhaka. Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest on earth, home of Bengal tigers and many birds and wildlife. Bagerhat is a Muslim city from 15th century, full of astonishing mosques. Best tour to experience Sundarbans.
On this tour, after visiting Old Dhaka the whole day and before embarking paddle steamer in the evening, we’ll take you back to your hotel in the evening for shower, which will significantly improve your experience, as there is no facilities for shower on Rocket and you have yet another day ahead before reaching your next hotel at Mongla. This is the main difference of this tour other than including three different hotel categories and airport transfers with our original Rocket and Sundarbans Tour.
You can easily combine this tour with visiting India. After returning from Sundarbans to Khulna, instead of coming to Dhaka we can transfer you to Benapole/Petrapole border to cross over to Kolkata which is very close from Khulna. Cost for returning to Dhaka and the last night’s accommodation will be deducted on that case.
- Visit all 02 UNESCO world Heritage sites in Bangladesh.
- Explore the largest mangrove forest on earth – Sundarbans, for full 03 days.
- Overnight journey on a century old paddle wheel steamer called Rocket.
- Visit historical sites at Bagerhat, a UNESCO world heritage city from 15th century, including 60 Dome Mosque.
- Full day tour at Old Dhaka including rickshaw ride on narrow streets and boat ride on Dhaka’s busy Buriganga river.
- Ride a Bangladeshi train – a unique experience.
Itinerary of Sundarbans Excursion with Rocket
- A guide of us will meet you inside the airport, pick you up, and transfer you to your hotel.
- Overnight at Dhaka (Hotel 71)
- Pick-up from hotel lobby at 08.00 H, and visit key tourist attractions in Old Dhaka the whole day, including Dhakeshwari Temple, Lalbagh Fort, Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, Armenian Church, Star Mosque, Ahsan Manjil, and Sadarghat River Station.
- Stop for lunch at a descent local restaurant in Old Dhaka, and continue sight seeing.
- Return to hotel and have couple of hours for shower before heading back to Sadarghat River Station.
- Enjoy a short boat ride at river Buriganga in the evening on a wooden boat to feel the ritham of the live and vibrant river and enjoy sunset.
- Embark Rocket Steamer at Sadarghat River Station at 18.00 H. A memorable overnight journey in Rocket Steamer to Hularhat.
- Overnight at Rocket (Sleeping Cabin)
- Enjoy the riverine beauty of Bangladesh from Rocket Steamer in the morning. Disembark from Rocket at Hularhat around 09.00 H.
- Drive towards Bagerhat (01 hr) in an air-conditioned car, and visit 15th century Mosque city once called Khalifatabad, which is the present day Bagerhat, and is an UNESCO protected world heritage site.
- You’ll visit most of the remaining mosques from the 15th century city Khalifatabad the whole day, including the 60 Dome Mosque, 09 Domed Mosque, Rono Bijoypur Mosque, Chunakhola Mosque, Bigi Beguni Mosque, and Singair Mosque. Also we’ll take you to visit the shrine of Khan Jahan Ali, the saint general from Turkey who came to spread Islam in this country and founded this great city, and Kodla Moth – a very beautiful Hindu temple from 17th century. Drive toward Mongla (01 hr).
- Overnight at Mongla (Parjatan Hotel Pasur)
- Transfer to our waiting boat in the jetty at 06.00 H, and head immediately toward Sundarbans. Stop on a forest station on the way to complete formalities, and continue toward Kochikhali.
- We’ll go through many small canals and rivers with our small boat where big boats can not go because of their size and the canals being shallow. Taking you through these rewarding narrow canals is the main point of this private tour on a small boat, where is your best chance to spot a tiger and many wildlife. We’ve spotted a tiger on such a canal on 26th September, 2014, which was crossing the river just 200 miters ahead of us in broad day light. We were the only lucky tour operator to spot an wild Bengal tiger in last few years on a tour in Sundarbans.
- We’ll reach Kochikhali in the evening, and explore a small canal on a small row boat in search of wild-life. They come to drink water in the evening and morning on the creeks and canals. You’ll seat on the boat quietly and float by on a breath-taking environment listening to many birds singing, and the calls of many animals.
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of Kochikhali forest station.
- Ride a wooden rowboat on a canal in the morning in search of wildlife.
- Back to the main boat, and have breakfast at 07.30 H. Start hiking on the forest from Kochikhali forest station toward the Jamtola Beach (10 km, 03 hrs). Spend an hour on the beach which is the quietest, nicest, and cleanest beach in Bangladesh, and hike toward Kotka forest station through the forest. Reach Kotka station and transfer to our waiting boat which already arrived here from Kochikhali through an inside canal.
- Lunch on the boat and have couple of hours rest.
- Go to the watch tower at Kotka and seat there rest of the evening. This is a feeding ground of animals. Lots of deer and other wild animals come here in the evening to eat grass and drink water. You never know what surprises can be waiting for you here!
- Stay overnight on the boat in a sleeping cabin, anchoring in the middle of the river in front of Kotka forest station.
- Go for a boat ride on the small row boat at 06.00 H and explore a canal near Kotka Wildlife Sanctuary. Return to the main boat at 07.30 and have breakfast. We’ll start our return journey toward Mongla from here through other small rivers and canals.
- Visit a fishing village in on the way, reach Mongla in the afternoon, and drive to Khulna (1.5 hrs).
- Overnight at Khulna (Hotel City Inn)
- After breakfast, transfer to Khulna Railway Station. Depart for Dhaka on 08.30 H Chitra Express. Arrive Dhaka around 18.00 H, and transfer to hotel.
- Overnight at Dhaka (Hotel De Meridian)
- Transfer to airport according to your flight, say good bye.
- End of the tour.
Price of Sundarbans Excursion with Rocket
|Group Size||Classic Package ||Comfort Package||Luxury Package|
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Tour includes:
- All airport transfers at Dhaka.
- 07 Nights accommodation in hotels and boat cabins as mentioned in the itinerary, with complementary breakfast.
- Lunch on Day-02 on a decent local restaurant (authentic local food).
- All meals, drinking water, tea, and coffee while on the boat at Sundarbans for three days on Day-04, 05, and 06.
- 1st class cabin on Rocket Paddle Steamer to Hularhat on twin sharing basis.
- All train and boat rides.
- All site entrance tickets.
- Air-conditioned car, driver, and English speaking guide.
- 5,500 BDT per person forest permission fee for Sundarbans.
- All tips except our guide, driver, and boat crew.
- Does not includes:
- Any food, drinks, or beverage other than mentioned above.
- 1,200 BDT Fee for video camera (if any).
- Any personal item.
- Minimum 02 person is required to book this tour outside the scheduled tours. Solo travelers can only join the scheduled tours.
- This tour is available to start on any Saturday, Monday, or Friday – round the year.
- 1st class tickets of Rocket and train depends on availability. You might have to travel on the 2nd class if 1st class is not available. Only difference on 1st and 2nd class on the Rocket is, 2nd class is located in the back side, and have no air-conditioning. Other facilities are same. Passengers of 2nd class can use all the facilities of 1st class, e.g. dining area, sitting area on the front side.
- On Monday and Thursday, a traditional ferry comes in service instead of the paddle steam boats. If you book for these days, you have to travel on the traditional ferry instead of a paddle wheel steamer.
- If for some unexpected reason Rocket ticket is not available at all, we’ll take you up to Barisal by a traditional ferry (overnight part), and from Barisal to Hularhat on the Rocket (daytime journey part).
- In case of traveling on the 2nd class of train, you’ll have a reserved seat.
- Itinerary of Sundarbans Tour is just a general outline, and not fixed. It could be changed depending on the season, moon phase, tide, day light hours, and fog. But we’ll try to include all the places and activities mentioned in the itinerary as much as possible.
- The boat for Sundarbans is a very basic boat without air-conditioning, electricity, and running hot water (we will supply them on bucket). It has accommodation facilities for 08 person in max, and one western style toilet. But we have a larger boat too to arrange tour for bigger groups.
- The cabins in the boat at Sundarbans are lit by small lights running on battery. We’ll run the generator in the evening for couple of hours everyday to charge your devices.
- You’ll get mobile phone signal of GrameenPhone on the first half of day-04. In Kotka, a new mobile phone tower of Teletalk opened recently, so you’ll get full network coverage of only Teletalk in Kotka with 2G internet facilities which is very slow. No other SIM card will work inside other parts of the forest.
- For trekking in the forest on day-05, the land is flat and we will not go through very dense forest, so it will be easy for most of the people, as long as you can walk about 10 km. The trail is dry, not muddy. Bring covered shoes which is suitable for trekking and can protect you from small grass and trees with spikes.
- If you do not want to walk, you can remain on the boat which will be still enjoyable, as it will go from Kochikhali to Kotka through small canals, which will be a ride of about 03 hours.
Citizens of EU, USA, Australia, Canada, Russia, and some Asian countries can get Visa on Arrival in Bangladesh, which is a pretty straight-forward process. Although there is a rule to take visa beforehand if you have a Bangladesh mission on the country where you are coming from, this rule is completely overlooked. They never check where you are coming from. They only check if you are a national of a country which are eligible for VOA, and directly issue the visa.
Unless there is a long Que for VOA, it will take just 10 minutes of your time to get VOA. Fee for most of the country is $51 USD. You’ll not require any previous application or anything else to get the visa. However, they will ask you for your hotel reservation and a phone no of the hotel. Simply show our details itinerary which we will send you once you confirm your booking, where all the hotel information will be written. They will be happy enough to give you a VOA of maximum 30 days.
Check here for more information on visa on arrival for Bangladesh.
- ATM Availability: Although Bangladesh has many ATMs, some of these do not accept foreign cards – your guide can give advice on which ATM’s to use but we do not advise relying on ATM’s alone for money.
- Credit and Debit Card Acceptance: Cards are generally only accepted in the more expensive shops and restaurants.
- Local Currency: Taka.
- Recommended Currency for Exchange: US Dollar.
- Where to Exchange: There are a number of exchange houses in larger towns and cities.
- All the breakfasts, 03 lunches, and 02 dinners are included on the trip. You need to pay for rest of the lunches and dinners during your trip. A meal on a decent local restaurant will cost about $2-$7 USD.
- Tea and soft drinks are very cheap. Mineral water is widely available.
- Bangladesh is a secular Muslim country, and whilst the people are very liberal and friendly, alcohol is not widely available. There are only a couple of hotels on the trip which have a bar, and even at these establishments you cannot usually drink in the restaurant. Local beer, when available, costs approx. $3 USD for a 300ml can, and a measure of spirits is similarly priced. Wine is not available. It may sometimes be possible to purchase alcohol outside the hotels, but it is prohibited to consume in public places. There is a duty free on arrival in Dhaka airport (before immigration) and you are permitted two bottles of spirits per person.
- In Dhaka, there are some wire houses from where you can buy alcohol showing your foreign passport. But they only sell whole cartons of usually 24 bottles/cans.
- Tipping is common practice in Asia. In Bangladesh, most workers will expect a small tip, anything from 50 Taka upwards depending on the service provided. At the end of the tour, if your principle guide, together with the driver and the boat crews have been helpful then you could think about tipping them. The amount can obviously be left to you.
- Booking this tour at least 03 weeks in advance is advised.
Reports from Western travelers who have taken the 06 days Rocket & Sundarbans Tour in Bangladesh with Nijhoom Tours. Read and be surprised!
Experience of Jackie and Mike Hulton from Surrey, England, of traveling Bangladesh for 3 weeks in November, 2016, including Chittagong Hill-Tracts area.
Reports from Western travelers after their recent visit to Bangladesh, about the security situation in Bangladesh after the restaurant attack in July, 2016.
08 DAYS $760 USD*
24-31 Mar, 21-28 Apr, 2017
22-29 Sep, 03-10 Nov 2017
01-08 Dec, 2017
19-26 Jan, 19-26 Feb, 2018
11 DAYS $1,025 USD*
07-17 Apr, 08-18 Sep, 2017
01-11 Jan, 02-12 Apr, 2018
05-15 Oct, 2018
14 DAYS $1,420 USD*
06-19 Oct, 15-28 Dec, 2017
05-18 Mar, 01-14 Sep, 2018
07-20 Dec, 2018
18 DAYS $1,970 USD*
10-27 Nov, 2017
02-19 Feb, 02-19 Nov, 2018
23 DAYS $2,500 USD*
03-25 Mar, 08-30 Dec, 2017
02-24 Mar, 03-25 Dec, 2018
27 DAYS $2,985 USD*
01-27 Oct, 2017
03-29 Jan, 03-29 Oct, 2018